Rhys Hillsides

I hope not as I am trying very hard to draw a line at $100/btl.

If you have to ask . . .

I think they should assign serial number to all the Hillside bottles. pileon

Ryan,
You are correct. We are waiting until the wine has rested in bottle before we set the final price but it will definitely exceed $100. (This has the feeling of sticking out my chin and waiting for the punch). As with all bottlings, participation will be completely optional.

I know pricing is a touchy topic (and probably no-win for us), but for our more value conscious customers I would recommend our three largest Pinot bottlings (Bearwallow, Alpine and Horseshoe). I think each of these offers exceptional quality for the price. For example at $59/btl (including shipping) Bearwallow is significantly less expensive than the wines made from neighboring vineyards which range from $75-$100 per bottle (plus shipping).

Congrats Kevin & Team. it’s definitely taken many years of hard work to get to where you guys are.

Pricing is a non issue as it’s a free market and market sets the price [cheers.gif]

We do have another two wines now to add to the $100+ domestic pinot list! :wink:

Kevin - so these hillside reserve bottles are not going to be released alongside the regular? (i.e. the 2013 alpine released a cycle or two before the 2013 apline hillside then?)

Gus,
There is not much difference in the oak between the regular and Hillside bottlings. I greatly dislike “Reserves” that are differentiated by their oak regime! Instead the Hillsides are comprised of the best parcels from each vineyard. For example, at Alpine all of the barrels that made the cut were contiguous and on the steepest section of the vineyard.

Mark,
We haven’t decided on a final release schedule for these bottlings. They might be included in the regular releases or more likely we will give them their own release.

A separate release would be fantastic. I intend to buy if I am offered, and would rather not have to cut back too far on other bottlings, which is what happens when the big boys come out with the other wines.

Kevin -

Nothing to add, except:

Looked back to see that I bought 2 Hillsides from 2006 and 2007 vintages. I know I drank one of each, not sure if I still have the other two (may have just called them “Horseshoe” in my inventory). Guess it’s time to do a better locker inventory.

Spiffy label. All of a sudden my beloved 2006 Hillsides feel so inadequate.

what it should feel is more valuable. :slight_smile: feels like a giacosa red label - before they used red labels? :wink:

I may have reached the purchase quantity threshold just in time to have a shot at these babies.

This does mean I can claim Kevin and Jeff as dependents on my tax return, right?

So has anyone tried the 2006 or 2007 Alpine Hillsides recently?

Any idea how they’re drinking?

The 2006 Alpine Hillside was very good about a year ago but still quite a structured wine. I decided to leave my last bottle for another 5 years.

There’ll also be a special Bearwallow called Porcupine Hill with a price tag of $79 according to AG.

The 2007 is still not ready but I think the '06 is beginning to drink quite well. I have seen some CT notes that have described it is tannic but I think this depends on the context (CA Pinot or Burg tannin?). Still there is certainly no rush as this wine is just entering it’s drinking window and may well continue to improve for another 5-10 years.
The last time I tasted it was at a dinner including a Burgundy importer and an auctioneer. The host decided to serve the '06 Alpine Hillside blind next to an '05 GC Burgundy. It showed well in the opinion of the crowd. Neither the importer nor the auctioneer could pick out the Alpine Hillside and one preferred it while other declared it a tie with the Burg.
All of that said, we feel that the '13 Hillsides will greatly surpass any of our prior bottlings from these vineyards. Vine maturity, winemaking improvements and vineyard knowledge have all contributed to that.

It would be a lot of fun to compare the '06 (lesser label and all!) to the '13 in 10 years or so.

Mine started researching time travel back to before I ever heard of Rhys.

I brought the 2006 Alpine Hillside to PDH last June. You tasted it and have notes up on the board. You did not love it.