Rhys Virtual Tasting--Thursday, 4/16 @ 5PM PT With Kevin Harvey and Jeff Brinkman

Hi everyone,
I am really looking forward to this. It will be a lot of fun to finally be able to put faces with the names and posts I have read for so many years.
If there are certain wines or vineyards or topics that people would like to discuss, please let me know in advance. I plan to pop a few corks so I can taste along with you and discuss real-time.

Kevin, would you consider saying in advance which bottles you plan to open? I would like to open the same if I have them.

Hi Maureen,
I think that would be fun. Maybe we do a poll on favorite bottles to open?
My (more available) favorites would be 2012 and 2013s.

I’m in any day and yes pre-anounce some wines and I will dig in the cellar.

Most of my wine is in a locker that is not easy to get into now, but I have a few Rhys at home, should be fun!

Thursday sounds great; just have to rifle through my wine fridge to see what’s not at offsite storage…

Like the 12 and 13 idea, I think I’m going to pop 12 Chardonnays for what it’s worth.

Voted for Friday but can do either. Might go with the 2013 Alpine Chardonnay.

Love the 12/13 vintage idea!

I’d like the invite please.

I have oodles of 375ml bottles of 2013 Rhys wines so I’ll probably go with some combination of them. I just had a 2012 Horseshoe Chardonnay:

2012 Rhys Chardonnay Horseshoe Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (4/6/2020)
From 375ml in a Grassl Mineralité, on the nose it is a dead ringer for 2006 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne, with lemon, apple, and a touch of hazelnut. Loaded with acidity, it benefits from air and warming up some on the glass. (92 pts.)

Just opened a 500ml of this wine for the Seder. Fine note

Voted for Friday. But in for either day.
Peter

Thursday is better, but hopefully can make either.

Love the support here for the event. Jeff and Kevin, thanks also for posting on some wines that some people could open alongside you. Like Rivers-Marie, you have a big body of work across many vintages and plots, so you’ll see all kinds of wines open during the event.

Keep posting everyone as to your preference between Thursday or Friday.

And, I want to be up front again about the link and attendance. There is no link to share yet, and like the Rivers-Marie event, it will be up to each of you to PM me to get the link when we have it–do not PM or ask me for it now. I suspect by EOD tomorrow we will have enough votes to pick the day, and then I can have Frenchie create the link. At that point, I will post again, change the thread title to the correct day, and you are free to hit me with PMs.

Based on 50 votes in just 24 hours, you should all expect the event to max out again at 100 people. For those thinking about how we increase past 100, it comes with a significant cost to tier up. With that cost, for now we will continue with the strategy to cap this at 100 people.

Above all, please stay safe and take care.

I am available either day!

JF

Yes, I’m equally fine on either day. And any other day before or after that, as far as I can tell these days.

I voted Thursday but might be able to manage Friday depending on Arnold’s schedule. Fortunately I happen to have a Rhys chardonnay on hand that I had pulled for a dinner that got cancelled.

Like the idea to focus on a couple vintages. Either day works for us.

Great idea! I’m in for either day and voted