Richebourg and Richebourg sous Veroilles

Baseball hitter …is allowed to be out after 3 strikes. newhere

Dear Peter,

I am a basketball fan. Hate baseball…Do not understand it for one bit (that’s why)…the sport is barely known over here and the same goes for American football.
SINCERELY JOHAN

Johan…sorry my joke did not make any sense to you.

A base ball player - when it is his turn to play - he is allowed to miss hitting the ball with his bate twice (when and if the ball threw at him) is within the striking zone. If he misses to hit the ball the third time…is out ( = not allowed to play for his at -bate ).

Friends,

Next week I’ll be drinking a RICHEBOURG/ VEROILLES 2008 (ANNE GROS) compared to a RICHEBOURG proper 2008 (GRIVOT). Wonder what the outcome will be. Admittedly, 2008 is not my favorite vintage so I may be swopping for 2010 in the end…

SINCERELY JOHAN

Johan…thanks for alert. Please pose your result.

When I was visiting Gervey years ago, I over-heard the conversation among the local that there is no such thing as a bad vintage.

I love 2008 ( and also 2007 )…as I do not need to wait. I suspect the 2010 needs 4 years at age 15. I vote for the 2008. My wine of the vintage 2008 is Domaine Eugenie - CdVougeot 08.

Needless to say…if you own multiple bottles… then it is a different story. Matt Kramer used to say for someone to know the wine, he needs to own 12 bottles.

Later he changed his mined and said…perhaps 6 is also acceptable !

Friends, notes of a comparative ta&sting RICHEBOURG versus VEROILLES.

1. RICHEBOURG 2009 HUDELOT-NOELLAT: wonderful nose with Vosne spices/oriental bazaar. Not quite the haunting fragrance of the 2009 Romanee-st-vivant Hudelot-Noellat, however. Soft and silky now but with plenty of dense fruit still. A most elegant RICHEBOURG 94p

2. RICHEBOURG 2009 Th Liger Belair : a darker profile with traces of smoky wood. Much younger and more structured. A very powerful expression of RICHEBOURG. Developed in the glass. Wonderful 97p

3. RICHEBOURG 2009 Etienne Grivot. Takes some time to open up. Somewhat austere and aloof at first but then the noble fruit suffuses the palate. Will need more time for all the elements to come together. Aristocratic, however, in the classic Etienne Grivot sense. 96+

4. RICHEBOURG/ VEROILLES 2009 Anne Gros : Beautiful fruit and a dense texture. Like a richer version of her ECHEZEAUX. Perhaps not quite the complexity and layers one expects in Richebourg. As Anne is capable of making the most out of her parcels in CLOS VOUUGEOT (le Grand Maupertui) and ECHEZEAUX (Loacheusses), can she do the same in RICHEBOURG? Another tasting is needed. But I suspect this wine is already showing its optimum. 92p
    SINCERELY JOHAN

1 Like

[cheers.gif] Interesting…merci.

1 Like

Friends,

To close the discussion. STEEN ÖHMAN just published a new contribution to this very subject in his excellent WINEHOG-publication. Strongly recommended for BURGUNDY FANS.

SINCERLY JOHAN

Johan…merci - but no thanks.

If I got interested as your just recommended - there is a good chance I will get into trouble with my wife ( as she does not care much about wine ).

I will stick to keep on drinking Mercurey and Marsannay ( my favorite 2 Ms).

CHEERS PETER,

Maybe I can recommend the many MARSANNAYS chez BRUNO CLAIR. Value for money. Underrated domaine in my humble opinion.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Hi Johan…long time no talk…

I did many comparatives tasting for many producers in Marsannay. Never understand Bruno Clair. I settle-down with Charles Audoin ( now his son Cyrille ), especially with his :Marsannay-La Charme aux Prêtres 05 (1119-8745 $37.50). HIis production- for La Charme - is around 600 bottles and it did not came to Quebec every year.

For 2005 there were 10 cases of 12 for the whole province of Quebec and I bought 97 bottles of it. I like it due to the fact it is 100% with stem. When I drank the La Charme aud Pretres side-by-side with his other cuvee ( 30 to 40 % with stem )…and when young - they are not easy to tell - after age 8 to 9…the difference is clear.

Bart (a B Clair’s cousin) is my to go Marsannay producer (they also have Clos de Beze and Bonnes Mares…). They have many many Marsannay wines…

Antoine…not looking for an argument. There is a good possibility I decided on the wrong choice ( for the go-to producer in Marsannay ).

I settled down on Charles Auboin…because the son Cyrille is a home-town boy and most of their wines are in Marsannay - except a village wine in Gervey ( not CdBese and no g-crus in Chombolle).

In a way if his is a caring fathe; he will treat all his children - mostly in Marsannay - with the same equal care. Unlike my father (who had one wife and 3 concubines ) who cared only his eldest son from his first wife and me who is his youngest son from his youngest concubine.

I am an old fashioned burgundy lovers who does wish to change too too much.

BTW…they have been talking about promoting some lieux-dites…to 1er cru level - but so far only talks. I do no mind…as the price will be stage. [thumbs-up.gif]

No argument… I went with Bart as I shared an office with a guy who married a Bart girl… But the wines are really excellent… so no regrets (and I have not tasted Audoin…). The 1er crus are coming sooner rather than later, I am told… I guess prices will increase… But the older I get, the less I care as I’ll have to stop buying…

1 Like

Antoine…I am curious, so I look up at my bible which is J.Morris’ Inside Burgundy - page 114. Morris listed 8 producers in Marsannay. Bart is the 2nd right one after Charles Audoin. You are right …Bart owns as many cuvees as Charles Audoin in Marsannay and also based there. That being said …sadly …SAQ ( Provincial Government authority ) did not carry his wines. So no new adventures for me… [head-bang.gif]

Some history here:

Interesting that cros parantoux is supposed to be a lower quality clone

Jack - thanks for the link. Very interesting read.

Michael - nice to see you here.

Richebourg ( as a whole ) is such a small plot so somewhat I think there should not be any real difference between the 2 sub-plots. I offer my comments (and conclusion) for the following reasons :

First : wine-tasting changes with time and condition and is more or less an emotion issue.

Second : Kramer said - a world of made is not a world of born. What I meant is : the signature of the wine maker should over-shadow the small size of the 2 lieux-dites.

I could be dead wrong and hope my friend Johan could proved it. The biggest disorder of the human mind is : to believe things as they are because you wish them to be so.

Dear Peter,

I really do think , based on many tastings, there is no significant difference between Veroilles and Richebourg proper. Owners in the latter keep on saying there is, however. Etienne Grivot (a bit biased?) is convinced RICHEBOURG proper is the superior climat although he also stated a month ago when I last visited both are brilliant…
SINCERELY JOHAN

Johan - thanks for the head-up and your conclusion… [cheers.gif]