Rising stars of burgundy tasting

Alix took over winemaking from her father recently.

2 Likes

Agree.
Millot and barthod has been known for awhile.

Rousseau

3 Likes

I mentioned Duroche in another thread and I was shut down by Mr. Kelley. Ha!
But I do think he doesnt get enough attention that he deserves.

Don’t think some people are understanding the point of my post. I’m not talking about new domaines, but new winemakers. Obviously arnoux-lachaux has been around for many years.

1 Like

+1

1 Like

Also, great for many years but now at another level. That is what I took as the OP.

2 Likes

Michael, what are you doing about domains like Mugneret-Gibourg where a new generation is now working with the older generation? I would think that this does not qualify, but it is your tasting.

2 Likes

I think it just depends if they are making improvements or stylistic changes. I forgot Nicole Lamarche

Arnaud Ente

If I were doing a dinner I would break out into a couple themes:

1. “Changing of the guard” where you have a wine from the previous generation and a wine from the current generation. I did this with D’Angerville (Jacques to Guillaume) - very good to see the difference in style. You could do this with Selosse in Champagne, Arnoux-Lachaux from Pascal to Charles, Dujac from Jacques to Jeremy etc.

2. “New Kids on the Block” where you have wholly new names. When you draw the line is the question. People that come to mind are Cecile Tremblay, Denis Mortet and Bachelet Monnot

1 Like

how is a not so distant relative of henri jayer considered a wholly new name?

1 Like

Sure - draw the line wherever you want. I would have said Emmanuel Rouget was the changing of the guard from Jayer. Henri is Cecile’s 2nd cousin once removed? Sounds basically unrelated from a wine sense

Rouget basically has the Jayer holdings right? Did Cecile get any of them?

My understanding is only Emmanuel. I believe Cecile is only her family plot from where her family sold grapes until she started making wine

Bachelet-Monnot in both red and white.

Cecile Tremblay has been making wine for a long time now. I have 2005s from her and I don’t think that was anywhere near her first vintage. At what point does one cease to be a new kid?

1 Like

I think her first vintage was 02? Not sure.

Yes, that is what I meant about where to draw the line. 2000? 2010? I think with that you can start narrowing the field

2001 was her first vintage! 2003 the first more or less commercial vintage.

There is a lot of “interesting” chronology in this thread…

While there are a lot of interesting winemakers from my generation in Burgundy, I think there is an argument for spending more time thinking about those who are at, or approaching, peak career: the winemakers born in the 1970s and early 1980s. Some of the people cited in this thread, such as Cécile Tremblay and Pierre Duroché, fit into this category. Others would be Olivier Lamy, Jean-Marc Vincent, Bertrand Dugat, Loïc Dugat, Raphaël Coche, Thomas Bouley, David Croix… and so on. Let’s give the millennials a bit of space and time to see how things work out, without anointing the “next Jayer” just yet (that has not tended to work out well in the past).

1 Like

I agree

Would you put Louis-Michel Liger-Belair in this camp?