Riverain: Discussing the wines, winemaker, owners, and anything else of interest

Do they still make the syrah I have not heard anything about the 17?

Nope, 2016 was the last vintage of Riverain Cardiac Hill for syrah. That vineyard has some production/yield issues, Carlisle used to bottle a Cardiac Hill and then dropped it after 2009. Riverain and TRB (his only syrah) picked up some of the fruit starting in 2011.

I see that Wilde Farm and Jemrose (they stopping make all wines) did a Cardiac Hill and stopped in 2015.

We decided, after bugging Thomas for years, to make Pinot in 2018, when he finally agreed. It was sort of a no brainer to get access to Silver Eagle fruit.

We are nearing the 10 year mark, so it feels like I can finally comment on this, rather than just saying “young.”

For current drinking, I really like the 2012 Cab (and Syrah). The cab fruit that year was in perfect shape and with some bottle age, that wine is beautifully silky and round.

2013 is still a big boy. Big tannins, big acid, big fruit. Longest ager we have made. Lots of muscle, but drinks well now with a decant.

2014 is sort of a split between 2012 and 2013.

2015 is a packed fruit beast. Super low yields, tannins are more reserved than the 2013.

The eastern side of Oakville and its red soils really allow for the grapes to retain nice acidity, which really helps balance the fruit and tannin.

Hope you come visit us one day.

Hey Steve,
Thanks for taking the time for this visit through your wine life.
Have a question after searching what bottles of Cab I have in Cellar Tracker. Did you make a “Reserve” Cab in 2016-2018? You did in CT.

Steve - Does the 2014 Cab need a decant?

I had the 2014 recently with a short decant, and I think it would have benefited from a longer one.

Not that it wasn’t tasty and drinkable right out of the gate, but I think (just to my personal tastes) that 2014 was a relatively riper, softer vintage, and the wine came into better balance, including showing its cab and terroir characteristics, more at the end of the evening than it was in the earlier going.

1 Like

Thanks Chris

Steve, for those of us that only discovered Riverrain during last year’s BD (and thus, only with the '17 vintage), any chance of a back vintage offering of the Cab? (really enjoyed the Syrah I purchased, though I didn’t take any formal notes)

Just opened this the other day. Did not disappoint!

Steve did a blind of three producers’ 2018 PN from Silver Eagle.

I called the the Rivers Marie immediately, very much in the house style.

The Riverain PN is much more structured and maybe more whole cluster. I think it was just bottled. Built for the long haul so if you rip a cork now don’t be afraid to let it get some air.

It was the favorite of the flight for everyone but me and that’s only because I liked the RM slightly more because I thought it was much older and should be drunk now. What? All three are '18. Oops.

As FMIII says “blind tasting is loaded with Vitamin H. Humility”

This :+1:t2:

1 Like

Those of you on the Riverain mailing list saw the release email today for 2018.

It should be noted that Steve and the team released the 2018 cabernet to berserkers first on BD12 and then tossed in more cases when the berserkers snatched them all up. We only left 75 cases… neener

Grand Cru has its privileges

Thanks to the Riverain Team for doing this.

To Our Valued Customers,

Riverain Vineyards is pleased to announce the upcoming limited release of our 2018 Riverain Cabernet Sauvignon Tench Vineyard. Please mark your calendars for this release as there are only 75 cases available and this wine will sell out on a first-come, first-served basis with strong allocations in place, and a wish list available for those who are looking for more than their allocation. Details about this wine will be included in our release, but rest assured you want this wine in your cellar!

Release date: Tuesday, March 9th at 9:00am PST

Many Thanks,

The Riverain Team

1 Like

Did everyone receive the email today? I am signed up but didn’t see anything

PM Steve or email him {firstname}@riverainvineyards.com

Hi Chris,

Sen you an email.

Thanks!

wow, only 75 cases? Makes one wonder how many were actually sold on BD, well done Steve! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Just missed this on Berserker Day, got closed out. hurts but I’ll have to buy it now at the higher tariff.

offer live. going to live w/ the 6 i got during BD.

How much was the Tench Cab during BD?

1 Like