Roughing it with Rougeard: A last meal of sorts

Historically I would have put them on the same level but I dliberately omitted them as I haven’t tasted Les Perrières for a couple of vintages. I will be back in the region in January and may try to visit then.

Ah, good to hear Chris. I was wondering if you thought C and P Breton had dropped in quality because it seemed strange to omit them.

In my tiny world, my simplified hierchy is Baudry for Chinon (with a soft spot for the unique and wonderful Jerome Lenoir), Breton for Bourgeuil, and Clos Rougeard for Saumur.

I know, I need to branch out more, so your suggestions above are very useful!

Right. I’ve had a 2011 Raffault Les Picasses (limestone) and a 2010 Baudry Grezeaux (gravel) in recent weeks and both were pretty unyielding. Had a 2013 Clos Les Pins (base cuvee) last night and boy was that a treat for $15. Best $15 red i’ve had ever perhaps. I think a direct import from K&L; sadly, i went back online for a case & it’s gone. :frowning:

I forgot that I had a 1/4 bottle left of the Rougeard, sitting in the regular fridge since Thursday night. Sitting in a very good place, has put on some weight and has fleshed out with arechtype nuances of Loire Cab Franc, green tobacco leaf, ash, peppers, along with a full range of red fruits. This is an excellent wine.

How the hell does one forget they have left overs of Rougeard in the frig for two days let alone admit it??? Someone has too much wine!!

I agree! champagne.gif