Rye

I got to try some High West 21 year old Rye yesterday and it was great. Looking today to buy a bottle.

Being Canadian I grew up on it. Canadian Club, Crown Royal (when I could afford it). The classic drink is the Rye and Ginger (ale).

Glad you liked it. If you are looking within WA state, the product code in 974303, and you can have your local store check the entire state inventory. Last I heard, there were still 2 btls of in in the 4th Ave. S. store in Seattle, but that was a month ago.

I am not a big fan of rye on the rocks, but put it in a manhattan. THat saying Ri is my only experience with higher end ryes

Got a bottle this year. Absolutely fantastic stuff, prefer it to the 12 or 15 year Bourbons, but they’re obviously completely different. I’ve had it before at a bar but this was my first opportunity to buy a bottle.

We got close to 100 bottles each of the 20, 15 and 12, but only got 12 of the Rye. Likely their smallest production, but I haven’t seen numbers.

I just tried the High West Double last night and thought it was great. Went out and picked up a bottle this morning!

I’m fast becoming a big fan of rye as I’m just finishing up a bottle of Russell’s Reserve Rye Small Batch Six Year Old. Not a bad introduction to the style for about $30. Might go with a bottle of their Ten Year Old next.

Been a go to for years. Although since I’m from there, might be a little bias. On rare occasion I was able to source the bootleg version back in college. It’s buttery smooth stuff.

They also harvested a plot of their very own rye in Templeton last year. Not sure how long it will be to get that in bottle, it’s several years turnover.

Anyone had the Rittenhouse 25? Available locally for $100. Seems a pretty decent price for a 25 year old whiskey.

The 25 is a steal at $100, it goes for over $200 here. I just picked up the regular one for $20.95, limited to one per customer.

Recently secured a bottle of Pappy (Van Winkle Family Reserve) Rye, very hard to find, and very happy with it (as I’ve been previously). Great stuff, may be the best value among all the Van Winkle releases. Haven’t tried the Rittenhouse 25 or the Sazerac 18 for that matter, but would love to. High West 21 is beautiful, really shows well what those extra few years can do for the right whiskey.

Notes on the Van Winkle Rye head to head w High West Rendezvous (another solid one) at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2012/01/04/van-winkle-rye-vs-high-west-rendezvous/

Just started carrying that. It’s pretty darn good! The current batch is 100 proof-4 years old-single barrel. $32.

The wayback machine! I’ve been through 2 or 3 of these since my OP. [cheers.gif]

I rounded out my last case purchase from Chambers Street with a bottle of Delaware Phoenix Distillery 's Rye Dog Unaged Artisanal Whiskey From Rye. It’s made by Master Distiller Cheryl Lins in Walton, NY.

Interesting stuff for sure. It looks, tastes, and smells exactly like a high-test grappa. In fact, we compared the nose to samples of four different bottles of grappa that I have and none of us could tell which one was the Rye. It functions more like a digestivo. I look forward to seeing what it’s like in mixed drinks.

Anyone have any experience with this product?

I think this is called ‘white dog’ - and it is whiskey straight off the still, without any barrel aging. I’ve seen a Buffalo Trace version of this floating around, but have been too scared to try it.

The only good unaged rye I’ve ever experienced is the High West OMG Pure Rye which just came out. The yeastiness will please all you Champagne freaks. Great stuff.

Opened a High West Rocky Mountain Rye 21 Year Old tonight. Batch 4. A very nice, aged rye. I’ll hold judgement until I can really sit down and enjoy it, as opposed to sipping it while concentrating on work, but I like what I am tasting.

Love High West 21, but I’m on batches 7 and 8.

I know what you think about Batch 7, but how is Batch 8?

Batch 8 seems to be of equal quality to 7, very consistent.