Rye

Found a bottle of Batch 7, so I went with that instead. Very nice.

Just took in two Rye bottlings from High West, NOT the bottled Manhattan, after a lot of customer requests. Any tasting notes?

The High West 21 rye is unbelievable. I’ve had about 5 different batches of it, very consistent. They make a Double Rye and a Bourrye or some such, both good, but the 21 is killer.

Hmmm have some 5 year old Willett Single Barrel. Nice stuff. The same store has the High West line and it sounds like those are next up.

Hunh??? We sell Whistle Pig for just $2 more than Templeton, not twice as much.

You must have them confused or incorrectly priced. The templeton is a non age statement rye usually half the cost of the whistle pig which is a 10yr rye. The whistle pig is also Canadian rye bottled in VT.

Maybe your templeton is over priced :slight_smile:

Brain fart: confused Templeton with Masterson…

I had the Knob Creek Rye on the rocks this week and loved it. Sweeter than a lot of ryes, but perhaps the easiest drinking I’ve had yet.

Over the holidays I picked up a bottle of Pendleton 1910 12 year old Rye. It’s a 100% Canadian rye trucked down to Hood River Distillers in Oregon where it is finished and bottled. I know if sounds more like a novelty than anything else but it’s a really nice Whisky for under $40. I’ve tried it by itself and with a little bit of water. Spiced orange slices, maple fudge, butterscotch…

Knob Creek Rye probably has a fairly high non-rye component. (Conversely, Knob Creek Bourbon has significant rye in the mashbill as is the Beam style.) The Knob Creek Rye is probably the bones of the planned Ri(2)/(3) which got spiked when Ri(1) did not live up to sales plans.

@Chris - that practice is not uncommon. There is a fair amount of rye produced in Canada as the traditional way of making Canadian whisky is not a mash bill, but separate grain batches blended. There are stores of aged rye whisky available from the major distiller. Whistlepig did this for some time as does Masterson. Some other ryes come from LDI (now MGP) in Indiana. Templeton and Bulleit being two of the best known.

A.

So far this fall the Handy and Sazerac 18 are my favorites, need to try a drop of Winkle Reserve Rye before it disappears.

Enjoying some High West Rendezvous Rye tonight.

Just bought a bottle of the 2012 Thomas Handy Rye. Thoughts on this?

Headier and spicier than the Sazerac 18yr Rye. Really long finish. Delicious bourbon. Good score.

Were Rye addicts. Love the Pappy 13YO

You can’t make my favorite cocktail without it. Eh, the Sazerac:

The do’s and don’ts of a sazerac:

You make your sazeracs with van winkle rye?

Why ruin one of the best rye whiskies on the planet by diluting it in a cocktail?

Did you see the paragraph break? I guess it wasn’t clear. Havent used Pappy in a sazerac but i would. Ycan’t make a great sazerac without a great Rye.

A friend shared some Whistle Pig with me today. I liked it a lot — not as much as a good Scotch, but much more than most Bourbons.

Still a waste to use van winkle rye in a cocktail. I guarantee if you made two sazeracs, one with van winkle rye and another with a similar quality rye you couldn’t tell the difference.

Using van winkle rye in a sazerac is the equivalent of using Lafite in sangria or or westveltren and pappy for a boilermaker.