San Diego help

I’ve realized what I’m really looking for in a restaurant is great tuna! Who has the best Tuna?
Last time we visited SD I had a tuna main course 3 nights and sushi another. When we stayed in Solana Beach loved Poseidon’s Ahi presentation (looked like a lion fish!), Sbicca was tasty and another I can’t think of off the top of my head.

So far we’ve booked Herb and Wood, decided against Juniper & Ivy, decided we were going to be a bit more laid back this trip.

Any thoughts on your favorite tuna in SD or Oceanside?

Thanks for this! Our kid has talked us into going to the zoo again, so suddenly our schedule is filling up but I think we’ll still have room for this hike and lunch at that Cardiff Market.
Question about the market- we’re booked on the weekends already, can you get the tri-tip during the week?

It’s not exactly close to where you are staying but The Fishery in Pacific Beach is attached to and co-owned by one of the local restaurant seafood distributors so has access to very high quality fish.

They also have a strong wine and cocktail program - heavily tilted to the Kermit portfolio.

It’s a popular place among my wine cohort.

1 Like

You can always buy it inside to cook yourself. You can also usually buy a cooked whole one to go. They may have sandwiches inside midweek I just have never tried. I like to get a sandwich and take it next door to Lost Abbey Confessional which has great beer and no food so they let you bring food in

1 Like

Loved our evening at Herb & Wood, great meals.

Walked into Puesto for lunch, great fish tacos! Went back again.

Yesterday drove north from downtown SD to Oceanside. Stopped at Cardiff Market for lunch with the Crack Tri Tip sandwiches- fabulous!! Then hiked Elijo Lagoon & Annie’s Canyon. That was a great hike, thanks to all who gave that recommendation!

Just finished a great meal at Millers Table in Oceanside, definitely worth a visit. Very eclectic wine list, mostly non-US.

Glad you enjoyed the hike. It’s relatively easy but amazing one given where it sits. I drove by it thousands of times on the freeway before my kids got to the age to do it and told me about it.

Here’s a new recommendation up in Oceanside that a friend of mine has been crowing about. Korean chicken and waffles for breakfast at switchboard

Bumping this up, going to be in Encinitas for a few days at the end of next week. Looking for a decent wine shop to grab a few bottles on arrival, 3rd corner still around/good? Any other recommendations?

Edit: or around Carlsbad

Could try Wine Connection (Del Mar-ish) or Vintage Wines (Miramar-ish) assuming you’re flying into SAN and driving north. Wouldn’t say either is the most hip or progressive but good to snag a few bottles when I go to visit my family.

1 Like

Yes, and you can stop at the Ocean Beach location or just head for the Encinitas branch. There’s also the Wine Sellar and Brasserie just off Mira Mesa Blvd.

1 Like

Vino Carta now has a location in Solana Beach (between Del Mar and Encinitas). Haven’t been there yet, but the original Little Italy location has always been a favorite.
Vino Carta

1 Like