San Diego help

Still Juniper and Ivy. Was there a couple months ago with two friends and they had splits of Krug NV for $90. After each one We took another look at the list but kept coming back to it. We drank five of them.

Had some great apps we split and a couple solid entrees we split also

Any updates on SD restaurants? Heading there in 2 weeks. Have time booked at Herb & Wood and Juniper and Ivy.

Callie is very good and new, tough to get in though. Fort Oak is excellent as well. Nine Ten in La Jolla consistently outstanding.

Born & Raised (over the top steakhouse experience in Little Italy)
Fort Oak
Trust
Carnitas Snack Shack (Outdoor by the harbor. Food is good)
Crack Shack (chicken sandwiches right next to J&I)
Cantina Mayahuel (food is good and tequila is outstanding)
Cori Pastificio Trattoria and Cesarina (two best Italian options in SD)

I cannot vouch for these two but they are getting a TON of buzz

Seneca (top of the InterCon hotel)
Callie (Cal/Med)

Going this weekend and might have to follow your lead and go to Juniper & Ivy, can’t wait! And go Giants!

Not necessarily “fine dining”, and it’s been years since I’ve been there, but Miguel’s in Coronado was really good Mexican food. And Costa Brava was a fun spot for Spanish/tapas and Enoteca Adriano for Italian.

A recent weekend in SD

Juniper and Ivy -good, not memorable

George’s on the Cove patio- hadn’t recovered to its prior culinary level, the view is the same, I.e fantastic (albeit chilly). Main restaurant still closed.

Herb and Wood - terrible service marred the meal. Even with lower expectations on service.

Callie- a compelling meal, was thinking of going back on the same weekend and should have.

Not San Diego but in Carlsbad:

Campfire- ok, interesting concept. Needs a little more complexity to be really good.

Jeune and Jolie - really fabulous 5 course modern French restaurant. Putting out fantastic food at fabulous prices (no white linens, higher server:patron ratio than top restaurants allows them to charge $85 for 5 courses, with high quality ingredients).

Oceanside
Dija Mari - hi end Indonesian food in a casual setting. Fabulous! Great for my nostalgic Dutch friends.

Any thoughts on a few cool things to do either in San Diego, Carlsbad, Oceanside? and dining that isn’t really fine dining, though we may do that one night.

Will be out with a friend (ex-girlfriend to be honest) from 10/28 - 11/1. She is doing the Half Ironman Oceanside on Saturday 10/30. We’d like to do something fun the day after the triathlon. If she is up for it, a great hike would be awesome.
She would hate the zoo and museums btw.

We would love good brunch recs, and if there is somewhere with great cocktails and an ocean view in Oceanside/Carlbad, that would be very cool for post race.

Mark- for ocean view dining or drinks, I’d suggest driving a few miles south to Pacific Coast Grill in Cardiff. It’s right on the beach.

1 Like

Thanks, Pete. That looks like a good option.

In San Diego, Addison got their 2nd Michelin star. The first one was given to them 2 years ago and that was low balling them.

Jeune et Jolie got 1 star and two sushi places also got 1 star.

PCG great view if you get the right table but food just ok. One of my neighbors is one of the owners

Go to Cardiff Seaside market just across the tracks and pick up a Cardiff Crack tri tip sandwich for lunch. It’s world class. They sell them on weekends out front and you can take it next door to Lost Abbey Confessional to eat it with a great beer. Nearby VG donuts are great also.

Stop by 3rd Corner in Encinitas a great wine shop. A couple doors down Blue Ribbon Pizza is outstanding.

Restaurant at new beach resort Alila Marea called Vaga is big step up from PCG and great view.

Nearby a great but short hike is Annie’s Canyon in Solana Beach. Or go for a bigger one at Torrey Pines.

Ping me with any questions. I live on Carlsbad/Encinitas border.

1 Like

Thanks again for recs near Oceanside.
We ended up having dinner at PCG in Cardiff Friday night, missed a great sunset but meal was good.
Ended up driving an hour to Mastro’s in Costa Mesa (friend is obsessed with their lemon drop martinis and we both love the butter cake) for a big meal after she completed the Ironman 70.3 on Saturday.
Day after race we had a great 6 mile trek in Torrey Pines - really cool - and spent a few hours in the afternoon enjoying the great sunny weather at the beach.
Also really enjoyed Parlor Doughnuts in Oceanside

Another bump! Headed to SD in 2 weeks.
4 days downtown near Little Italy, then 4 days in Oceanside.
Will check out some of the food recos upthread, but wondering what’s current.

Looking for Food recos in both places, and things to do. Wife and I traveling with our 13 yr old boy. Not first time there, already done the Zoo, Midway, Flower Garden. Wife get’s sea sick so boat tours are out.

Have heard the Farmer’s Market in Oceanside is fun on Thursdays (during the day and in the evening)? Is that marketing or truth? Last trip we loved Solana Beach’s Farmer’s Market.

Thanks for any help you have!

Also- I like to walk around in the morning (while everyone else sleeps) to find coffee shops with great espresso. Let me know if you think I should check a certain place out.

Tom, you may have already done it, but the Star of India would probably be fun for your son.

Not fine dining, but Brigantine is fun, outdoor seating looking over the harbor to coronado. Same with Coasterra closer to the airport.

Head over to Coronado, spend some time at the beach in front of Hotel Del, then have lunch out on their big deck. You’ll usually have some navy jets and copters flying by, which is cool for your son (and you lol).

All of this is “touristy”, but we do it when we’re down there, even though we grew up there.

1 Like

When in Oceanside your up by me. Check out Valle in Oceanside. In Carlsbad village Campfire and Jeune et Jolie (Michelin starred). Paon also good with very good wine program

1 Like

Not walking from Little Italy but you can pop up to La Jolla and check out the seals at the Childrens Pool/beach walks on La Jolla Shores or Windansea. Pannikin in La Jolla was always a popular spot for coffee but havent been since high school.

If you do go to Coronado and looking for a more parisian style spot - I ate at at Little Frenchie https://littlefrenchiesd.com/ and thought it was good. Here’s an Eater list if you wanna look more The Best Restaurants in Coronado - Eater San Diego

As you go up the coast - Del Mar has great beaches and decent little restaurants.
I always enjoy the hikes along the cliffs at Torrey Pines.

1 Like

If you are in North County on the weekend stop by Cardiff Seaside market for lunch and grab a Cardiff Crack sandwich. It’s a tri tip sandwich that will bring tears to your eyes. They sell it and ship it all over but on weekends they grill it out front and sell sandwiches. It’s legendary

Google Annie’s canyon for an amazing short hike (figure 30-45 minutes) just south of that in Solana Beach along the north shore of the San Elijo lagoon. Your 13 year old will love it and you will also. It’s an easy but spectacular one

Annie’s Canyon Trail

https://goo.gl/maps/fm57gbhCspjFRTp69

1 Like

Biggest/best farmers market is Hillcrest on Sunday - easy to get to from Little Italy. The Little Italy one on Saturday is good too

1 Like