San Francisco Offline- April 23rd

The theme isn’t mandatory or strict, if you don’t have anything in mind. Also, without knowing what you have access to it’s hard to make recommendations. I can speak for sauternes since I know the most about them: Maybe Fargues is somewhat controversial because some (myself included) think it approaches Yquem? I also think Guiraud falls in that controversial camp for me… it seems to keep ranking very highly on Wine Spectator top 100 lists, and I’m not sure it deserves it more than others in Sauternes (though it is quite good, I rarely find that it is exceptional). There is plenty of controversy in red Bordeaux. For higher end chateau and the recent St. Emilion classification, Chateau Pavie sparks debates on whether they deserved to be elevated. In somewhat more affordable bordeaux, I think Chateau Monbousquet has a more modern style that some people find polarizing. I’m sure there are equivalent debates in most other regions of the world, though I’m less familiar with them. Just what I thought of off the top of my head…

La Tache
Petrus
Yquem
Musigny
Rayas
Montrachet
Clos Ste. Hune

I have this Charles Shaw Chardonnay that got like 95 points that was really controversial a few years ago… [wink.gif] [wink.gif] [wink.gif]

Most of the wines I have that can be considered “controversial” wines are mostly wines that have quite a polarizing personality.

2010 Saxum Broken Stones - people on the boards either love this or hate this, some say its too big, others say it is balanced…
2006 Uccelliera Brunello di Montalcino - rated 86 by John Gilman , 96 by WA
2007 Domaine Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Morgeot Blanc - people either love or hate Ramonet?
2004 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - people say he is a traditionalist, some say he is a modernist…
2004 Poderi Aldo Conterno Barolo Romirasco - same here, modernist for some, traditionalist for others…
but what i want to drink is a red burg - 2006 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves Vigne de L’Enfant Jesus neener

I will bring one of the above, depending on what others bring in order to get a good mix.

Ramonet, please.

Can’t make it. Going to see Rodriguez at the Warfield.
next time.

I’m going to see Rodriguez, too. Shite. I didn’t realize I was double booked. I also have to bow out. Sorry about that.

Ashish, you have room for one more? Would love to meet some fellow berserkers.

Absolutely!

Ed, do you know yet whether you’re in or out? The event is coming up soon! See you all next week!

Sorry for the delay, but I can’t lock it in so I’ll have to pass.

Great! Now to figure out what to bring. I see Craig mentioned a Michel Rolland wine. Would it be alright if I brought a right-bank Rolland wine, to compare/contrast? The only other “controversial” stuff I have are probably ones with polarizing opinions (love it/hate it). Just off the top of my head:

2008 Troplong Mondot
2009 Le Bon Pasteur
2008 Quilceda Creek Galitzine
2010 Cayuse En Chamberlin Syrah

Leaning towards the Troplong Mondot. Any thoughts, preferences?

Harold, any of your wines would be interesting to me and they all fit the theme. Unfortunately I found out that my 1989 Troplong Mondot is at my brother’s house in Vermont so I won’t be able to bring that. Here are some other options I have for MR:

1995 Monbousquet
1998 Bon Pasteur
1998 Pape Clement

Either the Troplong Mondot or the Cayuse.

Ramonet it is then.

Not looking good for me. +82 call on my phone tonight.

Hi all,
I’m looking forward to seeing all of you this upcoming Tuesday. Looks like there will be about 8 of us. If there’s anyone on the sidelines who hasn’t committed yet, please post soon so that I can give an accurate count to Bella Trattoria!

Thanks!

Craig is out unfortunately, so I’ll change my wine selection since I promised the Peter Michael to him. Let me think for a bit…

That’s a bummer… Might revise my selection as well as Craig was the one who requested the Ramonet.

Sorry about that. I received an invitation to a kimchi and Cass beer tasting that I couldn’t refuse.

I would love to try the red burg!