San Francisco Offline- April 23rd

No one wants to drink Italian in an Italian Restaurant huh? neener

Will definitely put the burg on the top of the list. Is everyone else confirmed? I do not even know what everyone else is bringing.

I’m assuming that everyone listed right now is confirmed coming, but I don’t know what they are bringing. I’m bringing a 1998 Monbousquet and possibly a Chablis.

I do have a 1997 Poggio Antico brunello di montalcino if people would rather try that instead.

Confirming here. Will bring the 2008 Troplong Mondot. Interested in your L’enfant Jesus too, Joel, as well your 98 Monbousquet, Ashish. :slight_smile:

Bouchard it is then.

I’ll be stopping in at K&L in SF to ask them for a rec or Ashish gave me a few Sauternes suggestions too. My friend, Cindy, and I are definitely joining. My husband is a maybe depending on work. I’m guessing the theme is out?

I’m looking forward to seeing all of you tomorrow. It looks like we will have an extra seat or so… if there are any lurkers who want to join at the last minute, feel free.

Ami, no need to follow a theme. Get what you think you will like.

Thanks all for coming out! I had a lot of fun.
WINEBERSERKERS OFFLINE - Bella Trattoria, San Francisco (4/23/2013)

This was a very fun offline from the WineBerserkers Board in San Francisco. Thanks to all the people who came out! The wines all showed well, but I think my favorites of the night were the Verget Chablis (mine), Bouchard (Thanks Joel!), and Doisy Vedrines (Thanks Ami!).
Whites

• 2002 Verget Chablis 1er Cru Vaillons Vieilles Vignes des Minots - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Light golden color; creamy, lemon-lime, aromatic; great acid, fuller body, white stone fruits. This was a superb Chablis, consistent with previous bottles and among the best Chablis I have tried. Great acid, complex nose and palate, very enjoyable. Superb! 93-94 (94 pts.)
  • 2010 Arianna Occhipinti SP 68 Bianco Sicilia IGT - Italy, Sicily, Sicilia IGT
    Incredibly aromatic, sweet/sugary nose, floral, white fruits, citrusy; palate is completely dry, good acid, somewhat less interesting than the nose; short finish. Less fruit on the palate than on the nose. 88 (88 pts.)

Burgundy

• 2006 Bouchard Père et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Grèves Vigne de L’Enfant Jesus - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Pale ruby color; nose of primary red fruit, cherries/strawberry, spice; juicy red fruit, light, fresh, very young; medium fine tannins, elegant. A very solid Burgundy, drinking well now but very young and not showing its future potential. 91++ (91 pts.)

Bordeaux

• 1998 Château Monbousquet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Medium ruby color with some moderate bricking; nose of slight red fruits, some cedar, wood; palate has medium body, tannins kick in the midpalate and continue through the finish but are well integrated, fruit is lacking through the palate of this wine; finish is short.
    Update: 60 minutes- Drinking better, balanced, still light on the fruit but a bit more complex and goes well with food. I’m not sure what to think about this wine. This is not obviously flawed/corked, but it is so different from my prior note (lacks fruit) that I suspect it may be mildly corked. Still, it is decently enjoyable and pairs well with food. 88-90 (89 pts.)
  • 2009 Arômes de Pavie - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Medium-deep ruby color; ripe red fruits (a bit over-ripe and hot), some blackberry/cabernet; quite tannic on the palate with good black fruit; short-med finish. Modern style but recognizable bordeaux. 88-90 (89 pts.)
  • 2008 Château Troplong Mondot - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Deep ruby color; old world red fruits, relatively balanced and subtle, vanilla; palate has fresh, good red fruits, some soft tannins; moderate finish. This is a classic bordeaux that needs a lot of time to come together. 91-92 (91 pts.)

Sauternes

• 1988 Château Doisy-Védrines - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
    Orange-ish color; very complex nose with a purity of fruit seen only in icewine, fresh apricot, slight caramel; palate is medium bodied, very fresh, great acid, clean fresh biting/searing fruits, short palate; short finish. This is a fabulous example of affordable sauternes that has real unique character and has a particularly rare blend of youthful vigor, acidity, and freshness, with a bit of aged complexity. The main flaw in this wine is the short length, which is common with Doisy Vedrines, but it is still a superb example of aged barsac that would be absolutely fabulous with food. Another reason to age sauternes… still has 5-10 years of life left but will not improve. 91-93 (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the notes and organizing! champagne.gif

It was great seeing old friends and meeting new people as well. We should do this again sometime soon!

All the wines last night were pretty good, my favorites of the night were the Verget Chablis, Bouchard L’ Enfant Jesus and the Troplong Mondot.

Had a great time last night and meeting fellow berserkers. Enjoyed the company and the wines. Thanks Ashish for organizing this.

haha I just got this! Yes, I’m slow sometimes. :wink:

hey Ashish-
Cindy is asking the Schloss champagne you were talking about… can you let me know?

She is still having a hard time signing up for the site. So odd.

Ashish - Thank you for organizing and coordinating the event.

Always love going to Bella Trattoria.

It was great seeing regular berserkers and meeting new ones.

I am in for Sonoma vs. Central Coast Pinot Challenge.