Sandlands 2021 Fall Release - Save the date - Tuesday July 27th

Markus, the 2018 Sandlands Grenache was the first for me and it really opened my eyes to what New World Grenache can be. I totally agree with you that virtually all California grenache is disappointing, this was not. Here are my notes from a few weeks ago. Jolie Laide makes another I really like but is different than the Sandlands. I’m hoping the 19 Sandlands is like the 18.

Totally agree!

I also like the Carlisle grenache.

Markus, quick follow up so you know my preferences. I don’t like oak in my wine, even small amounts. I don’t like boozy wines, even tasty ones and I don’t like when I can taste brett. If brett is present and I can’t taste it, great but if I can taste it then it’s a turn off for me.

The wines in my notes use nothing but VERY old wood, lower alcohol, especially for grenache 13.4 and 12.8, and are free of brett.

Tom

I don’t generally like Grenache regardless of origin. I buy and try a few every year as both my brother and wife enjoy it so I keep looking. I opened the 2018 Sandlands Grenache to give it a try before next weeks order and it makes my list of California Grenache that I will drink and buy again. The only other wines on that list are A Tribute to Grace and Hobo. Unfortunately, the Hobo is no longer made. I have not tried the Bucklin mentioned earlier in the thread.

Had an ‘09 Majik the other evening at Rosso’s. 12.3%, not shrill or acidic, nice olive undertone. Have always enjoyed Angela Osborne’s Besson Grenache.

A22983CC-F946-42AD-8D00-405E85AD7F80.jpeg

Pax recently did a small library sale of 2005 Majik Syrah. I snagged two, and will be opening one soon.

Brian, looks like you guys had a good evening, where did you wind up going. I don’t recall what specific vintages of Majik were discussed but when you hear a half dozen respected winemakers talk about it as a real eye opener for domestic syrah you take notice.

Tom

^ This. Opened this last night and gave it 30 minutes of air. Bottle disappeared quickly.

Thread drift - make sure to try Birichino’s version of the Besson Grenache - one of my favorite and seems to meet your criteria.

2017 Contra Costa Red Table Wine is quite tasty at this very minute.

1 Like

Mr Tegan Passalacqua’s Instagram preview of the Sandlands Fall '21 release line-up:

Drew - that post is from a year ago.

Here ya go… Sandlands ~tegan on Instagram: "If all goes as planned we will send our second and last release for 2021 tomorrow. 8 more wines from the 2019 vintage. Amador Chenin blanc, Napa Valley Chenin blanc, Lodi Carignane, Contra Costa Red Table Wine, Lodi Zinfandel, Santa Lucia Highlands Syrah and our last Vintage of San Benito Mataro. If you are a subscriber to @vinousmedia go check out the @antoniogalloni reviews on these wines that came out just last week. #sandlands #californiawine"

1 Like

My bad.

Anyone know the Galloni scores on the Fall release wines? Never knew these wines were ever reviewed by anyone…

Anyone know the story with my favorite San Benito Mataro?

Howard

Prepping… [training.gif]

3 Likes

Really didn’t need another list, but I decided to take the plunge and join the waitlist. Does Sandlands work in a similar fashion to the Bedrock “waitlist”? Any idea if I’ll have a shot at anything on my first release?

Btw…anyone @ownrooted know when the winery will be done and open?