Sandlands 2021 Fall Release - Save the date - Tuesday July 27th

Patrick, couple thoughts. Sandlands releases sell out pretty fast but there will likely be some wine left over for newbies as this is a pretty large release (for Sandlands)

Also this is one list you DO need to be on. Outstanding wines, just my two cents of course.

Tom

2 Likes

Galloni wrote:

It’s always a pleasure to taste with Tegan Passalacqua, one of the most thoughtful, ardent custodians of America’s viticultural and winemaking heritage. His Sandlands range is full of compelling wines, most of them tiny bottlings, and all of them well worth the effort of finding. Chenin Blanc, Mataro, Mission, Carignan and Trousseau are some of the off - the - beaten track varieties readers can explore here in a range that really transports the taster to another era, a time when California’s vineyards were far more diversified than they are today. As always, winemaking here is minimalist and stripped down to the bare essentials. What comes through is the expression of a grape (or blend) from a site (often old vines) in a vintage. That’s it. The 2019s are stellar across the board and very highly recommended.

Last year the Red Table Wine was the only thing leftover, but it seems like there is more available in this release. Good luck!

1 Like

In the recent Bedrock release podcast they mentioned that Enz vineyard is trimming down the list of who they supply to. It sounded like the owners decision…Maybe they are planning to launch their own label?

Took my full allocation, no brainer for my palate.

Same here. Wish listed a few to fill out a second case. All $24-35- great wine at an amazing prices.

1 Like

This also appears to be Sandlands last vintage of bottling an “Enz Vineyard” Mourvedre.

The odds of the owners establishing their own winery are almost nil. Perhaps you’re privy to information that I haven’t heard…? [whistle.gif]

**** SHOP IS OPEN @ Sandlands ****

The difference between subsidized shipping and not. You’d pay $5 more per bottle if they subsidized shipping and still be ok with the price. It’s all between the ears for the consumer sometimes.

Took 10 bottles. Not a complaint but $58 to ship 10 bottles to Virginia is a good bit higher than in the past. I guess everything is more expensive right now.

That’s how much it costs to ship a bottle of wine.

Took a case. Left Zin (I already buy soooo much Zin) and Chenin for others. Took everything else.

Oh, I don’t doubt it.

So is everyone else who ships wine just taking a loss on it?

It ends up in higher bottle costs.

Supplemental - it’s also worth remembering that for wineries with significant wholesale presence (Sandlands ain’t one of those) they get much lower per-bottle revenue for stuff they place into wine shops or restaurants. Taking a small per-bottle haircut on wines sold direct-to-consumer isn’t quite so bad as it may appear.

But it still shows up in the cost - bottle or shipping charges.

1 Like

No, they adjust the retail price to overcome it. Costs even more to ship the heavy cab bottles. $7.50 and higher per.

1 Like

Went with the zin, grenache, and had to try the Napa chenin.

Love the Carignane and Mataro but I have quite a bit in the cellar that I need to drink through.

Many wineries are in that place where they have to price wines high in direct to consumer sales so that they don’t undercut the distributors and retailers who carry their wines. Discounts for club membership, discounts for 6/12 bottle orders, free or subsidized shipping, getting an extra bottle when you order some number, etc. are ways to keep the nominal price higher.

as a Chenin all-in subscriber, thanks!

1 Like

I bought your Zin

1 Like