Savannah, GA

Headed there next April so monitoring this thread, my first visit.

1 Like

looks interestingā€¦

Drive on up to Chas since youā€™ll be close. [cheers.gif]

thanks for the offer. Only have the one night.

Husk gets lots of love but thatā€™s exactly how I felt. Nice setting but the menu felt slickly corporate and not particularly interesting.

We didnā€™t join them but folks that joined us at Husk really enjoyed Common Thread. Not sure what wine policy is, was the end of their trip and ordered off of the list.

We stayed at Perry Lane Hotel btw. Not inexpensive but highly recommended. Great service, couple of bars, nice rooftop bar, good breakfast if you donā€™t want to venture out.

we moved next weekā€™s reservation to Perry Lane. Special going on now also. We had been debating and your post tipped the balance.

1 Like

Perry Lane is nice, as is The Alida, but I also like to stay at the Fairfield on MLK because it is fifty feet from The Grey and you can eat at the bar (different menu, still delicious). Can you tell Iā€™m a Marriott guy? My daughter is done in Savannah now, so not sure when Iā€™ll be back.

The pressure is on, but we enjoyed enough to book another stay.

Todd I remember when you started this thread seems like yesterday, best to your daughter :slight_smile:

1 Like

horrible meal at Alligator Soul. Even the wine I brought was off!

Husk is a corporate operation, owned by Neighborhood Dining Group. Founder chef Sean Brock left in May of 2019.

Yeah, the original Husk in Charleston with Brock cooking circa 2010-2012 or so was the real deal.

Monday isnā€™t a great night to be in Savannah since most of the restaurants are closed. But I did find my way to Le Chai wine shop in the historic district which has a more interesting and geekier selection than one would expect for these parts, albeit at near restaurant level pricing compared to what you might find in the big cities. I didnā€™t linger to review the full selection but noted many good options (Pichler, Selbach Oster, Vigneti Massa) before settling on a Bugey mondeuse from Thierry Tissot to wash down our take-out Squirrelā€™s Pizza.

The wine was in a funky/natty style and glou-glou, we did. I donā€™t drink a lot of wines of this type but am able to enjoy them. This was a respectable representative of its class and reminded me a bit of the entry-level Enderle & Mollā€™s that Iā€™ve had.

The pizza was a lot better than Vinnie a Go-Goā€™s and even a nose ahead of Vittorioā€™s.

I would return to both the wine shop and the pizzeria under similar circumstances (Monday + pandemic ā†’ take out to the hotel room).

1 Like

Speaking of pizza, it seems to get a little bit of love but stay far away from Screaming Mimiā€™s.