Save The Date- 2018 Scarecrow M'Etain

Named after the Tin Man from Wizard of Oz, ‘Étain’ being French for “Tin.”

Has anyone seen any early scores or first impressions?

I have not seen anything yet.

In previous years:

• WA have released their views in the end of October issue
  • Jen Dunnuck in the annual Napa report in January or December
  • unsure how to figure that out on vinous

Based on Brian’s advice, I popped a 2016 M. Etain (my first ever bottle of M. Etain) this weekend to determine whether I would order any bottles from the 2018 vintage. The answer is a resounding “yes.” Although obviously very young, it was delicious with a 2-3 hour decant. Very concentrated core of blue fruit, with a long, mineral finish. Cheers.

Nice! How did it compare to similarly priced Napa cabs? Quality and value wise?

That’s a difficult question to answer, as quality and value are very personal assessments. But let me try my best. I tend to prefer the more balanced and restrained iterations of Napa Valley cabernet and some of my current personal favorites are VHR, Arrow & Branch, and Aaron Pott’s SVDs. I would say these wines are roughly in the same general style as M. Etain, and are qualitatively similar for my palate. I enjoy all of them immensely. All of those examples are roughly in the neighborhood of M. Etain pricewise - I would say in the range of $150 to $225, and so I would say M. Etain compares very favorably, both qualitatively and value-wise, with those wines. Cheers.

I popped open a 2014 M Etain and it was better the second day and I am definitely in for the 2018 vintage.

Good Lord, a friend of mine just bought 4 bottles total (2 2-packs) and the shipping, to So Cal via ground, was $84. That is the most expensive shipping I have ever seen. Over $20 per bottle.

Are they sent in OWC?

From what I recall, last year had similar high pricing for 2-pack shipping. If purchased by 2-pack, by default it would ship in OWC. If elected for the 6 pack, you could opt out of the OWC and get it shipped in cardboard box. I believe the shipping for the 4 total bottles (2 2-packs) was about $80 or so (I don’t remember exactly), but shipping for the 6 in cardboard box was $35. This was via ground to SoCal. I’m not sure if you can elect out of OWC for the 2-packs, but maybe there is a way.

I got an 8 bottle allocation. Only planning on taking 2, if anybody is interested in sharing my allocation.

The cases are cool.

Never seen them, but imagine OWC shipping costs a lot more to pack. Will have to google it.

Edit: looked it up, they are pretty cool looking/unique/obviously play into the name

Benny I think you’re correct on this. I’ll go for the cardboard six pack, and then place bottles in empty old M’Etain boxes. Can’t wait for this release!

And this is why I buy on the secondary. Also why I should start a shipping company. My split on bottles in inventory is 50-50. I’ll never recover cost on direct purchased bottles due only to bull$hit shipping costs. Apologies for ranting.

People are buying?Is the offer open yet. Thought it wasn’t until the 1st.

I thought it was on the 1st as well as that is when I am offered, but I think they do it in waves. I didn’t realize that until one of my friends asked me if I was in on the offer today. He’s a long-time buyer of Scarecrow and Etain so looks like he was offered in an initial wave. I believe he was offered a magnum as well, which my postcard did not include as an allocated option.

Offered 8 (haven’t bought in years) and will be passing. If anyone wants them lmk!

Have been buying Scarecrow however and eagerly await the 18 offering.

Cheers! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Ditto

1 Like

Just got an email offering purchase of magnums. I wonder if they’ll also be ridiculously priced similar to those of Scarecrow.