Scrambled eggs

Christopher Kimball explained the chemistry behind the ATK recipe, which calls for heavy cream and salt in barely-stirred eggs, and add an extra yolk for each 3-4 whole eggs, and let stand a few mins. before cooking. Said that almost any beating/whipping of the eggs causes toughness, so just a light stir beforehand. And low-and-slow cooking, not much spatula work, undercook slightly, and make large curds. The result is very cheese-like eggs, creamy not fluffy, but pretty dang good.

1 Like

Milk or cream won’t make the eggs runny if you cook them enough. If they are too rich or too many calories with the dairy, you can just add water, which will still make them quite fluffy.

I use Kenji’s method listed on the left side of his graphic below. Every time. I have zero complaints. Going to make some right now!

https://twitter.com/thefoodlab/status/654357647538323457?lang=en

Julia Child method, cook the eggs till almost firm, then add some reserved beaten eggs at the end to the pan with the heat off.

1 Like

I like to make eggs in a well seasoned cast iron skillet. All types. The trick is to turn off the skillet when the eggs are about 90%-95% done. Let them sit until your desired consistency, then remove right away. For fluffy eggs I have found putting air in the eggs (whip them) makes em more fluffy. I haven’t experienced toughness, though I like my eggs on the done side of soft. A well seasoned pan acts like a non stick.

Tried this…delicious

Isn’t it though? You get a cramp in your wrist with all the constant stirring but in the end it’s worth it.

I love soft scrambled eggs and this was essentially basic soft scrambled on steroids.

I heat the cast iron over medium with ghee or olive oil or coconut oil, crack two eggs in a bowl, add some soy sauce and give it a couple of stirs. After a few min, turn the heat off and add the eggs. The pan is hot enough to cook them until done (I don’t refrigerate my eggs so they’re room temp). Push the eggs from the outside into the center (at 12, 3, 6, 9 o’clock) with my favorite kitchen tool >> Tovolo Mini Silicone Scrape and Scoop Multi-Purpose Scraper | Sur La Table, tilt the pan to cover with more raw egg, push from outside to center again, repeat maybe once more if needed and transfer to a plate.

I skimmed all the answers and agree with all but I don’t think anyone mentioned a very powerful trick.

Salt and mix the eggs about 15min in advance. You will see them take on a darker color. This rearranges the proteins and allows better moisture retention and fluffiness.

Then as said, cook oh so slowly. Other technique is dealer’s choice.

Gordon Ramsay’s method is one of the best. People who eat them always love them. Plus I like cussing at my eggs in the morning.

Ramsay says don’t salt your eggs until they are nearly done cooking because it beaks them down and makes them watery.

Harold Mcgee and I both disagree.

10-15 min no longer.

[shrug.gif]

Sometimes I think Gordon makes some of that stuff up. He definitely contradicts himself, a lot. Keller, Julia, and Pepin’s egg recipes say to beat the eggs with salt.

About a teaspoon of water per egg helps emulsify the yolk into the albumen for a more uniform mixture.
I only use a fork, not a whisk, to avoid over-working it.
I cook them in a non stick sauté pan at a medium low heat and spread 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of butter or olive oil in the pan before adding the eggs. There’s plenty of fat in the eggs, no need to richen them up with lots of butter imo.
When I make cheesy (up to 1oz per large egg) scrambled eggs I switch to skim milk instead of water.

1 Like

Gordon Ramsay scrambled eggs, Urbani white truffles, toasted Gjusta sourdough; as close to perfect as makes no difference.
05DD89A7-CF53-49B2-B144-D86EDB55CBC1.jpeg

I always add cream cheese, butter and mexican cheese in the middle of the cook. Love the taste.

Though I’m a butter in pan and milk in eggs sort, this description of pushing the eggs is exactly what I do (and what my father before me did). Have to try one of those scrapers - thanks for the tip on those!