Scrambled eggs

Also try Pepin’s fines herbes omelet (parsley, chives, tarragon, chervil). Spice Island makes this blend. Here’s some technique:

adding 'nduja to eggs sounds great. But (not to be internet scold), it ain’t proscuitto.

I think adding liquid will make them lighter. The key is whipping lots of air into the eggs too. It helps a lot to use seltzer water as well to get get extra bubbles while vigorously whipping. I add any other ingredients to the pan after adding the eggs as they interfere with the whipping. BTW, I just use a fork to whip.

I’m gonna second this vote for the ‘creamy scrambled eggs’
They are so awesome. Love the consistency this method gives them. But you have to be a not-quite-dry egg fan, which I am but my wife is not. I take mine out and then cook gets another minute and we’re both happy

Missed this initially, but Kenji’s new method includes a starch slurry- an idea he got from Mandy Lee- who has a terrific website and book.

My wife hates eggs, the texture not the taste per se. However, she likes the egg burrito from Chik Fil A. It’s the texture, fluffy and creamy. So to replicate that texture i do the slurry which i got from Cook’s Illustrated and add a small amount of whipping cream. Then a good whip to emulsify. This makes uniformly soft, creamy curds with zero excess liquid. I can also make the burritos ahead, wrap in foil and reheat with zero degradation in texture or flavor.

2 Likes

I made them; they’re good, but way too much work.

1 Like

I thought scrambled eggs were just for kids. [wink.gif] Since I own and raise my own chickens I can tell you I do not eat scrambled eggs anymore. Sunny side up, over really really easy and poached.

I always put a bit of milk or cream in mine and a lot of butter in the non-stick pan. I"m a low and slow much in the vein of Ramsey and stir as much as a risotto. Small curds, texture akin to a custard, perfect on a piece of toast. Salt comes from the salted, cultured butter in the pan.

A couple of these look kinda fun-

@Charlie_Carnes and I are OBSESSED with what we’ve termed ‘whisper eggs’, a la slow-cooked scrambled eggs by Marco Pierre White

The richness and depth of the eggs, using ONLY eggs, butter, salt and pepper, is extraordinary. I’ve purchased multiple new articles of cookware to dial it in perfectly - such a simple dish that is so expressive, and SO different from any other scrambled eggs ever.

2 Likes

This is my favorite way to prepare eggs as well. This video is too much though……at certain times it felt like an SNL spoof skit with his delivery. So funny.

1 Like

That’s why we call them ‘whisper eggs’

1 Like

I don’t think my gas stove can go low enough to make the eggs this way so I use a bain marie
(bowl over a pot of not boiling water)
Same basic slow cooking just a different way of applying the heat.

Firmly in the Tuite/Ramsey camp.:+1:

Egg soup!
:nauseated_face:

I crack them into a medium heat frying pan and mix them quickly with a rubber spatula. My wife tells me somehow I’m “abusing” the eggs - and it sounds like this guy would agree. I think they come out just great! I don’t add anything other than salt and pepper.

1 Like

I don’t serve them THAT runny - mine are solid but still moist. Will post a pic next time - they are incredible

Only butter, low heat, don’t over work them. Salt & pepper at the end. Add ons: smoked salmon, chives, prosciutto, ham, green onions, cheese of choice……

Just a bit of ‘fall’ over the bread

3 Likes

That’s funny. The video has almost cult status for me now. I whisper when I make them, mention them… I’m actually whisper typing this right now!!!

Thanks for the mentionTodd. These eggs, once mastered, are soooo good. Proper toast, and a nice French Press brew are also musts!!!