Sec Wines in Portland

Most Oregon wines in Washington are wholesale priced at the retail cost in Oregon. For example, Beaux freres WV is $40 in PDX and $40 wholesale here in Seattle. Just the way it is, generally each state has a handshake agreement that the retail won’t be lower than cellar door so it makes sense that retail pricing is really good in each state. The internet is starting to change that now…

I would avoid this place, for the following reasons. I am sad to report that in all my years, I think shopowner Eric is the first malignant soul I’ve encountered in the wine business. Last evening I ordered six nice bottles from him, with overnight shipping. My wife’s phone pinged indicating the charge was approved. Hurray!

Today, I get a terse email from Eric saying that he thought he remembered my name… Turns out that a year and a half ago, I ordered a case of his wine that I had to cancel the card on, because my card had been stolen. Not a drop of wine was shipped, and fair Eric canceled the order long ago. That was the end of it.

Or so I thought. Evidently still butthurt from my long-ago oversight, Eric tells me today that he’s not going to honor my recent order. He tells me about this long-forgotten (at least for me) canceled card “incident”. (I got the feeling that there are dolls in my likeness in the shop with pins through them.) Nonetheless, I apologized, explained what happened, and try to make good by Eric. Nothing doing, says Eric.

So Eric, along with your one star, I also leave you with this advice: Life is too short for you to be some Seinfeldian caricature called The Wine Nazi. Be better.

Been buying from Eric for 10 years. Top-notch all the way. Highest recommendations!

Greig, it sucks to have a bad transaction with someone. I can’t argue with your experience.

For transparency, I did post a PSA about Sec Wines and their Vouette et Sorbee offer from this past Wednesday. My experience with this order was good. I had a few questions for Eric, he got back with me both times timely, and he processed the transaction and the wines are scheduled to ship. I’ve done 4-5 orders with Sec Wines over the past year and I’ve had a good experience every time.

Greig, no one here knows exactly what happened besides you and Eric. But I’ve known Eric for over 20 years, and at times he has been one of my best friends and one of my best customers. While neither are true today, unfortunately, the term “malignant” is the polar opposite of Eric’s normal personality. I’d suggest that anyone here interested in buying wine from Sec give him a chance. I doubt you will be disappointed.

Agreed, I’ve bought from Eric in person and he was perfectly pleasant

It has been a couple of years since I purchased from Eric, but there were never any issues.

I find it interesting that Greig made an order with a CC that ended up being compromised and just canceled the order rather than using a different CC to complete it (what I have done in the past). Also Interesting that his first post, and likely last, was to slam a shop

Eric has been great! Buy with confidence. I’m finding more and more wines that I can get through him. He has some great Italian gems as well.

I’ve bought from them for years, always excellent and personalized service.

+1

I’m finding Grieg’s story about as believable as Jefery Levy’s recent lawsuit (Bad Jeff, in case I got his name wrong). Like just about everyone else, I have ordered from Sec, and had a great experience. I’d order from them more if shipping to the east coast wasn’t so expensive.

Grieg sounds like the kind of guy who would go to med school and then become an ambulance chaser.

I have nothing but great things to say about Sec. Wouldn’t trust someone who made an account here just to slam a shop

I hate these one off posts.

I have known Eric for years too. I actually don’t buy much from him, but he has a great passion for wine and I love talking to him about wine. He remembers things that I have mentioned to him 3 months later, even if I haven’t made a purchase recently. Most recently that was the new release of Franchino Gattinara which is impossible to source.

I would buy from him with no hesitation.

I’ve dealt with Eric for about 10 years and he’s a great guy. This thread is a shame IMHO.

Nothing but good dealings with Eric

Never understand why people post on this forum or elsewhere to clearly try to hurt someone and their livelihood.

The best advice if you have a bad experience don’t go back. Shop elsewhere. Try to be kind not destructive

New customer to Sec here; first transaction this month and everything went well. Ordered, got confirmation, got shipping notice, wine arrived… Second was yesterday.

One email to Eric was responded promptly.

So:
Limited experience, all positive, and the overwhelming positive recommendations of many other Berserkers.

Versus

One post from a guy who joined WB just to throw a rock at one store.

Why is it not surprising Eric had a problem with this chooch? Willing to wager there is a little more to this than Grieg mentioned.

I agree, it’s like someone asks to be invited into your house and when you let them in they $h!t on the entryway rug only to turn around & leave.

I think I might disagree…I don’t know it it’s this thread, or just that one post. Everyone here (accept that one-time-dump) is speaking about the positive experiences they’ve had with Eric. The take-away from this thread (to me) is that most of us infant the vast majority of us have had very positive experiences working with Eric.

Piling on - Absolutely nothing but The most positive experiences with Eric @ Sec.

Another +1 for Eric being a stand up guy.

Greig- not everyone has good experiences all the time, but looks like you drew first blood here and whitewashed your story a bit. If you had a presence or reputation on this forum, maybe your story would count for something.

Sorry - looks like you did something to really piss him off last year and that’s on you. Maybe it was an honest mistake, but that’s between you and him to work out. Trying to damage his business here makes you look petty.

another fan of sec wines here. a couple cases per year for years, nothing but great, fast, and personal service