SF Bay Area/Peninsula OL June 17 - Donato

Hi all - I’m new to the group, but would love to join in for this dinner if there’s still room!

All,

Krista at Donato said OK for 17th. Private room off the front door is not available and I am trying to find out what max table size is doable. Possibility of either a la carte or arranging fixed menu.

As an aside, I had a drink with a Sicilian friend last night who also tends to be hyper critical of Italian restaurants over here; he said Donato has upped his game on the food side.

I think fixed menu is how the cost got above the usual amount last time, but I wasn’t there for that one.

It was due to an add on. I think the prix fixe is around $40-45 but will ask about options. I think we are currently close to 20, so I will call her at lunch to see what is possible.

My list is currently at 18 and anyone else want in I’ll start a waitlist unless Andrew confirms space.

Krista said they can do a max table of 21. Right now we are basically 20, but historically there have been some last minute drops. When you are working with a party of 12 it is not that big of a deal, but when you starting getting to 20 people, last minute drops beyond 1 or 2 peeps are unfair to the restaurant (provisioning, staffing, table setup, etc). If we are maintaining a 18-20 headcount, then I would suggest that there should be a minimum 72 hr cutoff for cancels. Magnums anyone??

Andrew great points about the cutoff. People are going to need to bring a magnum if they hope to give everyone a splash. A fixed price option may be best with the size of the group, but you guys know Donato better than I do. With that being said I am still planning on bringing my 97 Jadot Amoureuses mag and 06 potel Montrachet. If needed I could swap out the Montrachet for a chambolle musigny mag. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

I have a call into Krista and have asked her to send me a couple of prix fixe options to throw out to the group. The current dinner menu is here:

Another option would be to ask for a bunch of antipasti/pizza for a fixed $ per head and then have everyone select a main and dessert. BTW for those who can get there a bit earlier, they have a great happy hour 7 days a week; $4 beers - Menabrea/Luponic IPA and $6 Negroni/Americano…just sayin’.

Pregaming before the OL… [drinkers.gif]

Basically two choices, but want to let Donato know by early next week. No consensus and the default will be #1.

1. Go a la carte from the menu for dinner/dessert and for $10/person we can get stuzzichini and a bunch of pizzas to start.

2. They have a couple of prix fixe options with the most interesting being the $50 option below (choices on the primi and secondi and dolci made individually):

INSALATA ASPARAGI E GUANCIALE
Poached local asparagus & rainbow carrot salad
Pork ‘guanciale’, candied walnuts & sweet garlic sauce

PRIMI
-Choice of-
AGNOLOTTI DEL PLIN
Housemade small ravioli “del plin” of three meats; sausage, veal, tomato & onion sauce
Tomato & onion sauce
RAVIOLI BERGAMASCHI “SCARPINOCC”
Traditional Bergamo ravioli of wild greens & “Taleggio Vero”
Sunchokes & brown butter sauce, crispy sunchokes

SECONDI
-Choice of-
MERLUZZO ERBE E CARCIOFI
Pan roasted herb crusted local cod, Half Moon Bay artichokes
Fregola sarda, olives & capers
POLLO ARROSTO IN TECIA
Terra cotta roasted natural free range Mary’s chicken, Yukon potatoes, Bosane olives & oregano
Soave wine and sage sauce
AGNELLO AL FORNO
Roasted Colorado lamb shank, asparagus
Sangiovese wine & herb sauce; Roasted potatoes

DOLCI
-Choice of-
CIOCCOLATO FONDENTE E NOCCIOLE
Warm chocolate hazelnut cake served with vanilla bean gelato
PANNA COTTA
Organic lemon panna cotta with a local orange sauce

For $57 you get the same thing; a fennel salad for start and replace the chicken dish with a controfiletto…otherwise identical to the $50 menu.

Hi Andrew and thanks for your hard work! Everything looks great and I would vote for whatever is easiest on the restaurant. Price seems in line with our other spaces :ok_hand:.

A vote for a la carte

A la carte

A la carte it is then! What is everyone bringing? Hopefully the good stuff :wink:

He’ll be glad you called. No one calls him. Juan has the loneliest number.

Is Juan also a doctor?

OBJuan.jpg

Juan’s brother Jose’ sometimes buys seats that turn out to be view obstructed at Giants games. That’s why before the games everyone stands up and asks him if he can see.

[help.gif]

No one has a Don Zerly ™ light anymore.

Hi folks,

I need a firm headcount for the restaurant by Wed please.

Also only two people have spoken up for a la carte vs prix fixe (with choices). Other usual caveats apply; bring stems and cash.