SF Offline Feb 18 @ Zazie (no corkage)

Waitlist, please.

12 people is never too many

My wife confirmed. Any way we could up the number of people on the reservation?

I think things are nowhere near as good going up much from 8 but I’ll give them a call and see if we can go to 12.

Unfortunately it’s a no go to go above 9 on a normal reservation. They make you swap to fixed price banquets with much stricter conditions (like final counts that we will be charged for a week in advance , etc). I’m going to hold it at 9, but still reasonable odds for the waitlist between now and then.

George has never been in a canoe.

No-one’s thrown any out yet so I’m going to restate my request for theme suggestions. Doesn’t have to be too narrow – I was thinking maybe just Pinot and Chard, open to both old and new world. I welcome other suggestions though.

I would prefer old world or both, not new world only. My preference would be Chardonnay (or another white) + Syrah or Nebbiolo. I think that may be more interesting than the Chard/Pinot combo. But I’m happy to go with anything, really…

Sounds good. I intended to include both old and new world to leave that up to ppl, although I expect/suspect a mostly afwe bent.

Happy to swap pinot out for syrah, I’m very light on Nebbiolo, but wouldn’t object if anyone brought some anyway!

How about Chard, Syrah, Nebbiolo?

My recommendation: Some people list some wines they would like to bring (in the categories you’ve listed would be fine, or not). Then let others match or complement as they like. I would prefer not to be too rigid about themes as people have different strengths in their cellars. I’d rather try something that you really like from your cellar rather than have you go out and source something you have no clue about.

Sounds good to me. Loose theme along these lines, match it as you will, or if someone has something else they love that they want to share, that works too. Champagne is always welcome!

Please add me to the waitlist…

We’re thinking about bringing a white and a red. Here are a couple of options to get the ball rolling…

For whites I’m thinking Austrian Riesling (Nikolaihof or Pichler) or a Chablis (2011 Fevre Cote Bouguerots).

For reds, I have some 1998 Northern Rhones (Bernard Cote Rotie or Jaboulet Chapelle) or a 2009 Rostaing Cote Blonde that I’ve been wanting to open.

Could also do a 1978 Produttori Montefico, if old Nebbiolo is of interest and I’m open to Pinot (haven’t looked).

I like both the vague and specific suggestions. My cellar is pretty diverse. Could easily support some Burgs (red or white) or Nebbiolos. And I always love drinking others’ Rhones (my cellar is fairly empty there). I could also bring some nicer CA wines (eg 2013 Littorai, I have both red and white). Or an ‘11 Donnhoff GG, been thinking those could be ready to charm now.

I’m going to drop out because everyone would hate me if I prevented Leenda and Cindy-Wan from being there.

Do you understand the concept of “sunk cost?”

George: ok hate me even more.
Craig: um…
George: ok hate me infinitely?
Craig: well…
George: ok hate me infinitely and put ground glass in my wine when I’m not looking?
Craig: actually…
George: you didn’t

BTW that’s not just glass.

Great respect! Some jokes are clearly off-the-cuff wit. But sometimes I sit (wine glass in hand) amazed at the effort and work put in to make the joke something special. [wow.gif]

Being the (now) out of towner and perhaps missing the joke, just checking if you’re actually dropping out George?

Edit: You were on the waitlist, got it :slight_smile: