Share your Washington winery tasting memories from some of the OLD wineries (some now gone)...

There was and probably still is Pinot Noir grown in Yakima Valley. Not sure I ever had it from Wineglass, but Horizon’s Edge made a servicable one early 2000’s. Most of the HE wines were odd or bad, but I remember the Pinot grown on site in Zillah.

I’m thinking my Wineglass pinot was a 1994-felt to be a particularly strong wine. I’ll look around and see if I still have it.

Yes, the original Seattle Wine Storage location was at Denny and Terry Ave. N. from 1995 until 2013, ending with 14,000 sf on two levels. I got to watch the neighborhood gentrify as Amazon and other companies moved in. We moved to a new, better and larger facility (20,000 sf) on a single level at 95th and Aurora in 2014. I sold the business and retired in 2019 and it has grown and prospered under the management of Lee Spires since then. I couldn’t have picked a better person to continue the legacy.

2 Likes

Some fun Blackwood Canyon tasting notes in CellarTracker. I remember what was their most ‘famous’ wine, the 1987 Penultimate Gewurtztraminer, a dessert wine that was one of their few drinkable wines. No notes in CT, but the drink by range is until 2099!

Some fun Blackwood Canyon tasting notes in CellarTracker. I remember what was their most ‘famous’ wine, the 1987 Penultimate Gewurtztraminer, a dessert wine that was one of their few drinkable wines. No notes in CT, but the drink by range is until 2099!

Edit: It could have been the 1986 Riesling Pinnacle that was their best wine.

I love this thread as I really enjoy the history. My first vinous trip to Washington was only in 2010 so I’m a complete newbie by comparison even though I lived there 1984-1986 when I wasn’t that interested in wine.

There’s a 1988 Blackwood Canyon merlot available on Spectrum Wine Auctions currently at $7. It’s gotta be worth it just to say you’ve had one!

There was a small winery called Steven Thomas Livingstone in downtown Spokane in the early 1990’s who made really solid wines across the board. They were also a big believer in, and proponent of, Lemberger and their version was a really good quaffer that was terrific slightly chilled. Apparently they went out of business because of a dispute with Gallo about the Livingstone name. The wines are long gone, but I might still have a t-shirt from them that I can’t fit into any longer.

Tanjuli and Portteus both still (to my knowledge) produce Pinot Noir from estate grown grapes.

1 Like

Clearly, grapes are from “Oregon State”!
IMG_6107.jpeg

3 Likes

The medical bills will cost a lot more than $7. A glass of prune juice would cost less than a buck and be the same color, with no buyer’s premium, tax and shipping.

1 Like

That’s amazing!!! I was with Chris in that, in all my times going to Wineglass, I never recall having seen or tasted a Pinot Noir.

I have exactly four bottles of Wineglass left: 2008 and 2009 Elerding Vineyard Cab and 2008 and 2009 Les Vignes de Marcoux Cab. Kinda makes me a little sad…

1 Like

I have a very vague memory that perhaps they only did it once.

We went to Blackwood Canyon in 09 on my Harley! Crazy visit and we liked the whites quite a bit.

Steve Elerding is a friend and colleague. Anyone has a photo of that Wineglass bottle I’d love to see it.

1 Like

CATERINA WINERY in Spokane was another favorite. Mike Scott was a terrific winemaker, and I just loved his Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc. He later launched LONE CANARY, which is also no longer around.

1 Like

Mike Scott was the assistant winemaker at Steven Thomas Livingstone and I believe he and the other folks who founded Caterina bought the remnants of the STL winery.

1 Like

If only we could get Matt Mabus in this thread.

Glenn, I’ll gladly snap photos and send them your way. They’re at my offsite, so it’ll be a bit before I get there.

1 Like

I’ll definitely share the photo with Steve.

Sorry it took me so long, Glenn, but here they are:

1 Like

I can get beyond a winery named WineGlass However love the Cayuse boxes behind it. What vintage did they use wooden? All my 3 packs in town are cardboard.

1 Like