Share your Washington winery tasting memories from some of the OLD wineries (some now gone)...

Cayuse puts mags in wooden boxes. 750s still come in cardboard.

1 Like

As John says below, those were for the Wallah Wallah magnums.

1 Like

Don’t know if any of you remember Steve Redford–Myron’s brother. He made actually really good Cab/Merlots but never hit the mainstream gravy train. I believe he died last year of a heart issue.

and Horsepower…

I only have a Horsepower box because it was given to me when I traded some Cayuse for some HP with my cousin.

Too late to play, JF is awesome. Before Pepper Bridge his last year in Napa was making wine at Heitz with 1997 vintage.

Some of the wineries I recall are Andrake Cellars, Nicholas Cole, Farron Ridge, Russell Creek, Harlequin, Cougar Crest, Mountain Dome, Facelli, Cavatappi, and I have to reference the old Columbia David Lake Series Red Willow and Sagemoor wines.

I still have a bottle of Harlequin Pinot. Robert was in our tasting group for a while as well.

MOUNTAIN DOME -

Are they still in business? The Manz family built one of the most unique wineries up in the Spokane hills, and their bubblies were always some of my favorite American Sparkling wines. Michael Manz was an amazing character and the times I spent with him were very special. I know Michael passed away, but if the winery is still in operation, does the Manz family still own it?

When Michael passed away Don Townshend bought the winery in 2011/12, then Don passed away in 2020. I think he shuttered it around 2016.

1 Like

This thread sure brings back some memories. I remember really liking a Horizen’s Edge Cab when we tasted but ended up dumping the bottle when we finally got around to drinking it. Before they were forced to change their name Covey Run was Quail Run. Their tasting room was beautiful. Kiona was a fun stop. I also remember one called Tucker that we did not like at all.

Does anyone remember Caterina in Spokane? They had a great little tasting room down by the flour mill.

just saw this after I posted about Caterina. Used to love visiting their tasting room, and they made some really great reds

1 Like

Their Sauvignon Blanc was one of my favorites. And they did a tiny amount of Semillon that also was extraordinary -

1 Like

Oh, Horizon’s Edge. I have memories of that place, too. If I recall correctly, a LOT of their whites were purposefully made with pretty high residual sugar and were, uh, interesting. I dug the definitely FARM vibe at that tasting facility, though.

1 Like