Sippin' Tequila Recs

Great recs. Tried the El Tesoro Extra Anejo yesterday and thought it was terrific. Much less sweet than the Case Azul reposado, but really complex and rich.
Fortaleza is next on deck.

I havenā€™t tried any of the Extra Anejo tequilas, yet, because I like the flavors and aromas of agave and worry that the EAs may be dominated by the barrel.

-Al

Iā€™d like to see some recs for Blancos. Had a glass of Don Julio Blanco that was pretty decent as it tasted and smelled like agave and had a light smokiness. Iā€™ve mostly been drinking Mezcal and all of that came directly from Mexico.

We drink a lot of tequila and, as mentioned up thread, Seite Leguas is amazing. Head and shoulders above any other blanco weā€™ve had.

What do you think about shipping tequila in hot weather?

Did anybody snag the Tesla tequila?

For me Tears of Llorona has no comparison. Next I would go with Tapatio extra anejo.

Le

A new category of tequila, ā€œcristalinoā€, you take an aged reposado or anejos and charcoal filter it.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2021-05-04/best-cristalino-tequila-is-aged-then-filtered-for-a-premium-bottle

Casa Noble

1 Like

This bothers me, and Iā€™m never planning to try them. If one goes through the process of barrel-aging, softening the tequila and making it more expressive, why would you then filter it (which WILL change the end product) to remove the beautiful color? Lame.

1 Like

I think itā€™s tequila makers trying to get on the same gravy train as high end (expensive) bourbon producers.

-Al

Astor Wines has 15% off all tequila and mezcal today only.

Second siembra azul, you can find it at K&L wines in Los Angeles. Great for sipping or mixing into margaritas.

Ethanol has about 5 times the thermal expansion coefficient of water. So whatever precautions you would take for a bottle of wine, be even more cautious with spirits. OTOH, as long as the temps donā€™t cause the liquid to expand enough to break the seal on the bottle, higher temp is unlikely to do any chemical damage to spirits, given that theyā€™ve already been distilled at much higher temperature.

Given that a ton of spirits get shipped around in hot weather, Iā€™d guess that expansion is rarely a problem, except in very high heat. My daughter bought a bottle of gin for me at a distillery local to her, forgot it in her hot car, and it broke the seal and leaked out.

Weā€™ve been experimenting with different sipping tequilas (mainly blancos) and ordered a bunch online. OH doesnā€™t have many of the tequilas that everyone highly recommends. This ArteNOM is insanely good. Also loving Fortaleza. I had G4 recently when I was in WA and really enjoyed it, as well.
IMG_3573.jpeg

There are some great recs hereā€¦to the Fortaleza, Siete Leguas, Ocho, el Tesoro, G4 recs I will add Tears Of Llorona.

Find a bottle, you will never regret itā€¦Tears of Llorona.

At a lower tariff Fortaleza pancakes the rest above.

1 Like

I just got into tequila a few months ago. Iā€™d suggest staying away from the likes of Clase Azul, 1942, Cava De Oro and such. They usually have added glycerin to make the spirit sweeter and smoother on the palate as well as artificial coloring. Fortaleza Anejo is my favorite sipper by far. Tears of Llorona and Tapatio Excellencia XA is superb as well.

We have Mexican friends (in Mexico, not in US) who visit us from time to time. They swear by cristalino tequilas and have offered to bring some next time they are here. I am eager to find out what all the fuss is about, as I canā€™t find any in Ithaca.

Christopher you should be able to find Don Julio 70 https://www.donjulio.com/en-us/our-tequilas/don-julio-70-anejo-claro-tequila. Widely distributed. A little harder to find is Maestro Dobel Diamante Dobel. Really nice and claims to be the original cristalino.

2 Likes