Sippin' Tequila Recs

Any experience with Azunia? Just had their “black” 2 year anejo, and thought it was quite nice.

Dos Artes Extra Anejo

1 Like

Centenario anjeo.

Hey Folks,

Looking for a little help. I want to buy a thank you gift for a friend who likes tequila. I’d like to send him six bottles and keep the total around $500. I’d prefer to stay away from the obvious ones like Don Julio 1942 and Clasa Azul (which on a complete side note is overwhelmingly sweet with a vanilla profile). Ideally I can send them to him in NYC from one store. I know Astor has a great selection. TIA.

FWIW, Don Julio 1942 and Clase Azul are overly sweet because they have added sugars.

Really? I had no idea. I’ve actually never had the 1942, but I distinctly don’t like the Clase Azul.

1 Like

I’d suggest El Mayor vs. these two from larger distilleries.

1 Like

Hands down “dos artes tequila extra anejo” oh boy

Grabbed a bottle of Fortaleza Still Strength. Really tasty.

1 Like

Get the Tequila Matchmaker app. You can look up NOMs and brands to see where, how, and by whom they are made. Most of the celeb stuff is junk, full of additives. Many of the big brands are mass produced with autoclaves instead of traditional clay/brick ovens.

I think Fortaleza is the best sipper all around. I sell Hiatus, which I also happen to like. It’s made by a larger distillery that produces about 50 brands, including Casa Noble. But they use agave grown on the distillery estate along with some private farmers, and the pinas are roasted in clay/brick ovens. No additives, and reposado and anejo are aged the minimum amount of time in first fill bourbon barrels.

Love it. One of the best high proof.

For those of you who want high proofs - G4 has a 108 proof blanco now. Siembra Vallas (same distillery as Cascahuin) has a 94 proof blanco.

Good sleeper Tequila is Terralta, made at same NOM as Arte NOM and G4. Really great liquid, really terrible packaging. The high proof is good too.

1 Like

See note above, Terralta is the sneaky pick made at same NOM as G4 and same distiller. Don’t let the really awful packaging fool you.

1 Like

I love terralta - especially the fact that their XA is 30% cheaper than G4 for basically the same juice.

I need to try some of the other suggestions here, but I am pretty sure this punches above its weight given that I get it for 24.99 at Costco. Great with dark chocolate.

Centenario Anejo is too oaky for me but if you like that sort of thing it is on the cheap side.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does NOM mean?

FWIW, I very much enjoy tequila and mezcal, but can’t stand Clase Azul, 1942, Casimigos as they all seem sweet/vanilla accented to me.

NOM is the distillery//in Mexico they give distillers a number so you can see who produces at which facility

https://tequilamatchmaker.com/distilleries

I appreciate it. Just checked out the website…apparently, the suggestions from my go to tequila guy at my LWS aren’t highly thought of by the tequila matchmaker community. LOL.

TM centers around non-additive Tequila’s.

1 Like