Sojourn threads feel a little spammy

I’d certainly expect a mention that the note was thanks to receiving a free bottle,etc - that’s the minimum ethical standard for most such situations isn’t it?

I don’t think anyone is saying that posters talking positively and frequently about wines “feels a little spammy.” Carlisle did its release today - do you see a half dozen threads this week of customers having recently tasted their new releases? I don’t know anyone who gets to taste Carlisle and Bedrock before they are released.

Again, I’m not attacking Sojourn, but what Brig is noticing isn’t just “they get a lot of love on the board.”

In the past, out-of-town Berserkers would pre-arrange tasting visits to places like Rhys, and I’ve been lucky enough to be invited along to fill up the room. We got to taste the upcoming vintage, and even stuff in barrel. Several of us wrote up tasting reports. Seems acceptable, to me.

Is Sojourn actively recruiting people to come taste and write notes?

To me that’s the crux of the issue.

And, if they are, please send as many bottles as you’d like my way. :wink:

Ah good old ethics

As ordinary forumites, receiving a free bottle from a winery would be unusual and most likely make us feel positive about them. For critics, or those trying to establish themselves as such, the scenario is more common and would make little impact.

Personally I’d feel happier if forumites would put a simple note against any TN, if the wine was supplied free by the winery. Those who receive cases of samples a year are in a different position, but still perhaps useful to call that out in their profile (rather than individual posts).

As for the winery, if they are supplying wines with the encouragement to post a TN to this forum, then I am more uncomfortable. If the positive reviews get more wine sent and the negative ones struck from the freebie list, then that runs rather too close to bribery and certainly challenges the integrity of what is posted here.

That’s a big ‘if’ though.

If people have posted notes on wines sent for free, then your comments would certainly be of interest. I can’t promise you won’t get criticised for it, but not from me.

regards
Ian

Good post.

I figure, if someone got a free sample it would be because that person was already a fan of the wines and the tasting note would be in the context of someone who has experience with that winery and likes their product - useful to me and perhaps better than a ‘random’ TN.

I hope that made sense.

[cheers.gif]

I agree with the author of this thread. Something about all the recent Sojourn postings… It’s either going to turn people on or off…

This. [u]What Bedrock wine are you drinking tonight? - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

You seriously see that thread and tasters receiving free bottles of wine and posting notes right before a release as the same thing?

I have had two winery owners offer to send me free wine in exchange for positive notes here.

Both board favorites. One from Central Coast and one from Napa/Sonoma.

This was years ago, and I never responded. It happens quite a bit.

Thanks for that Bill.

Boo, hiss. Not even close.

Not sure but would you consider this spammy… "Has Anyone Been Drinking BerserkerDay Wines Lately?

I’ve made several posts on that thread (ironically including a TN on a Sojourn) and wouldn’t call it spammy at all. To the best of my knowledge, no one ITB asked for notes or sent out samples or organized a tasting of wines for the thread.

While there is a commercial angle to it, it is in support of a community commercial event that includes a large number of vendors. I bought from 18 different producers last year IIRC, and only scratched the surface, so any information available about anyone making offers is helpful.

If any winery owner wishes to send me free samples to taste, I’m open for business.

[cheers.gif]

Seriously? ONE continuous, long term thread for people to compare their notes on the SAME winery, with no one getting free samples or being asked to post notes . . . HUGE difference between that and what is apparently going on with multiple Sojourn threads written by members receiving free bottles in exchange for their reviews. I had the same reaction as Brig.

The comparison to Amazon is apt, but at least on Amazon, reviewers note that they received a promotional product in exchange for their review. I have no issue with the winery or anyone posting tasting notes here; I just personally think it should be stated in the note that they received the bottle for free with the understanding they would post here, and as a mod, I would prefer that notes on the same release be contained in one thread!

This ^

Such an easy thing to do as well.

Oh, bummer. I guess I won’t be getting any more free running gear. [swearing.gif]

Exactly! Any good blogger that receives wines and reviews them notes that they were provided the wines gratis.

The real question - for those who have received these samples, is it ‘implied’ that you will post notes or just ‘suggested’? I think this is a very important point here.

I’m not in the habit of providing free samples to too many folks - I don’t currently submit for ratings but occasionally do run into bloggers whose style I like and will provide them a few bottles - with the understanding that they are not ‘committed’ to reviewing the wines whatsoever . . . and if they do, they will state whatever they find, both positive and negative.

Transparency should be the rule here, no?

Cheers.

Hi Larry
FWIW I think it is fair for wineries to expect a review if sending a wine to a blogger. As you say, the review should be a ‘warts and all’ opinion, but receiving a wine and not reviewing it, ought to strike them off the list of further samples.
regards
Ian