Somethings gotta go- Carlisle, Bedrock, O and F?

This is something probably a lot of people forget. You can’t do this for SQN or Screaming Eagle type lists, but for most of them, it’s no problem to skip orders.

If you’re worried, you can send them an email explaining that money or space is tight but you want to keep ordering in the future, and they’re usually perfectly nice about it.

Yeah, I doubt any winery is going to kick you out if you don’t order during these times. The reality is they’re drowning in unsold wine now that retail is gone, most likely. They might talk that talk, but behind the scenes there’s a world of difference.

The same could be said of any grape. How much Napa Cabernet does someone need? How much Bordeaux? How much N Rhone? How much burgundy? How much Piedmont Nebbiolo?

The reality is that Zinfandel and these heritage blends express place arguably as well as any other “noble” red grape. There’s as much difference in site expression from a Dolinsek and an Esola (two of my favorites) as from a Pomerol and a St. Estephe. Dolinsek is all about flowers and Blackberry liquor, while Esola is about dried strawberries and chalk and structure. If you like the basic attributes of Zin, then it’s hard to hold back to 3 different bottlings. Just like any Bordeaux lover would be insane to stick to just 3 estates.

Add in the local history, excellent QPR, and ageability, and it’s a recipe to stock up on a lot!

I just checked CT and although Bedrock is by far the most represented producer in my cellar, Zin blends are 4th from a variety standpoint (Bordeaux blend, Riesling, and Syrah/Rhone) being top 3.

An excellent post! I agree 100%!

Some weeks have more Carlisle than others on Winebid but this current auction has SUBSTANTIALLY more than usual. Someone dumped a pretty sizable collection.

There was also a significant Bedrock dump - possibly the same collection

Adam, what are wineries doing behind the scenes? Offering club members great deals that most are unaware of?

I have actually been wondering this as the quarantine relief here had some good deals, but I can’t find a ton of good deals right now seemingly. I have literally wondered how a winery like Ridge Vineyards (I’m a member) is continuing without giving members any great deals. I suspect it is because they are a large winery. But the little guys seem to not be giving the best deals either. I keep getting emails about various combos, mixed sixers, random vertical, etc. but the prices are the same or higher it seems. Or, maybe like 5 or 10% off.

Not mad about any of this, just interested from a cash flow/business perspective because I thought they would be hurting bad by now.

I have been buying from Carlisle for over 15 years and continue to buy their wine although less of it. I passed on the Bedrock and O&F lists because I have so much Zin and Syrah in my cellar. I do have friends who buy Bedrock and O&F and I get some exposure that way. As I have said here many times… for my tastes Carlisle has consistently delivered quality wines for fair prices since day 1. That combined with amazing customer service has assured my loyalty as long as I can lift a glass.

I pick up the Carlisle at retail. I dropped from their list (and most others) years ago. Mike is a great guy, but I just don’t need any more lists. I’ll do the same w Bedrock.

I would really consider staying on O&F if nothing else just for the hope that there is another Ravenswood library dump at some point. makes it worth the list for that alone if nothing else. those wines are killer.

also agree that Bedrock will be legendary

I have never had Bedrock. Saying that, I have left all of my mailers. The only one I wish I still had is Carlisle. If I could have kept it and maintained Syrah and petite sirah allocations without Zinfandel, i would have probably done it. I miss those wines.

People are probably buying and drinking more wine than ever. I seriously doubt most retailers are struggling right now. I could be wrong (I am not ITB). But, my guess is sales are up, not down. I know I’ve bought more since COVID started. And, I need more wine like I need a hole in my head.

You could have done that easily…I think I have been on Carlisle’s list since the 2004 vintage, but buy the zins and PS mostly.

You’re articulating what I have thought…but I’ve held back some money for deals and they haven’t shown up yet. Thanks for the input…maybe no deals and sales are higher than ever!

I am just guessing. That said, I would be surprised if we don’t see some good deals on Champagne.

Yep, I was thinking the exact same thing

I was going to say the same thing. Mike definitley does not hold you hostage with the mailing list. Some of your allocations for specific wines might go down if you don’t buy them after multiple releases but you could absolutley just stick to purchasing syrah and PS…although I’d say you’re crazy for passing on the Montafi, Papera, and Carlisle Vineyard zins :wink:

I would just pick the wines I liked…and buy a couple of each.

Carlisle SV Zin and Syrah and Palisades PS
Bedrock Monte Rosso and Bedrock Vineyard
O&F Teldeschi and Old Hill

You’d have a lot more eclectic group vs. reducing a whole winery.

Indeed, Rich…

Oh, it was just an educated guess on my behalf. You do hear through the grapevine that some who relied heavily on one segment or was priced a little too steep might be hurting, but just hearsay. I think DTC is probably up.

As for the great deals, they tend to disappear during runup to Xmas. I think it has traditionally been the case across a lot of industries.