SQN Graciano

Whether or not Lisa reviewed this, the original post was a Vinous review from Antonio.

Lisa’s back reviewing wines again? Last I read she was in Denmark doing a feature on the Emperor’s new spring collection (I hear it’s 100pts).

why do you think the andremilys were overrated?

Back to the Graciano – is there any info about production levels and/or how it will be released?

Hopefully not another mag-only limited release like “Writing on The Wall” for those of us more “junior” on the list

A TAD overrated. Have tasted them all and they are a bit monolithic for me. Need a little faith to see how they evolve hence a 96 rather than a 99.

It’s handled separately and released under the Third Twin label (the wine comes from their Third Twin Vineyard outside Los Alamos)… It will be released just like the Next of Kyn releases.

A TAD overrated. Have tasted them all and they are a bit monolithic for me. Need a little faith to see how they evolve hence a 96 rather than a 99.[/quote] (too many quotes embedded)

I think the 2014 was a tad overrated too. I opened one a month ago and it was extremely closed. A quality wine no doubt, but I wasn’t doing backflips, even taking its youth into consideration.
The 2012 Andremily that I opened last night was stellar though.

How are they handling signing up?

Thanks Jeb – will have to be on the lookout for the signup

I liked Lisa’s reviews and her opinions on wines.
Well done.

I was not aware of Graciano from SQN. Would enjoy trying it.

Never had graciano until I tried this one from Santa Cruz Mountain Vineyards/Quinta Cruz from above mentioned Lodi vineyard. Its 100% Graciano and I love the herb flavors that layer on top of the acid/fruit.

http://www.santacruzmountainvineyard.com/QuintaWines/Graciano2007.html

Its a darn good wine. Maybe if I’m uber lucky one of these years I can taste the SQN version.

Sean

2-3 points from where Jeb had them which I think is correct since IMHO they were a tad overrated.

Two or three points?
[wow.gif]
What a finely calibrated palate.

Quite astonishing.

On the plus side, this could bring the obscure grape back into contention but not as prolific as Merlot (ahem). Will be glad to try some California versions along side the Spanish.

Graciano is the next big thing. You may already be a fan, and not even know it.
Lisa outlined the tale in her article. The most popular (80%?) Mourvedre clone planted in the Paso Robles area over the last decade is Monastrell, the spanish clone. It is a popular ingredient in the very best Paso Rhone blends (GSMs, etc.). There are 100% bottlings of it. Only it isn’t a clone of Mourvedre. Recent DNA testing reveals it to be Graciano. The rumor is that the local Nursery blames Plansel, the certifier of original material. If it is their error, than this is bigger than Paso. I think there is going to be a lot of relabeled wine next year, and the planted variety census will shift overnight. Don’t be surprised that wines you love already have Graciano in them. It’s a great grape and can make great wine, doesn’t matter what you call it. In the interests of full disclosure, I was concerned upon learning my acres of Monastrell were not Mourvedre. I felt better when all my customers decided to continue with it. Graciano is not as rare as you think.

How many acre’s did you have planted that turned out to be Graciano? Any sense on the amount in the Paso area also mislabeled?

[quote=“Tony Trumbo”

How many acre’s did you have planted that turned out to be Graciano? Any sense on the amount in the Paso area also mislabeled?[/quote]

About 10.

Since Mataro and Monastrell are listed as Mourvèdre by the TTB, I believe a winemaker can use anyone of these interchangeably. No need to align them with clone name. So no way to tell from the label. Only the nurseries know how much has been planted. I can believe the 80% rumor. Planting wasn’t my idea, customers ordered it.

Just to be clear, we DID mean to plant Graciano, not Mourvèdre. We do have that grape too and frankly it tastes rather different from Graciano. A great grape that SHOULD be a Rhone variety. God, or someone, made a mistake.
Cheers.

So M…can you tell us a little about how and when this new wine will be offered? :wink: And…you can go ahead and pencil me in for some…thanks! :slight_smile:

Thanks for posting–I was going to point out that this was already on your new website some time ago.

I would never suggest otherwise.
I am actually very thankful that, coincidentally, you are a leader in introducing the American market to Graciano. Who better?