SQN Graciano

Would you care to share the entire article if possible? Is this something one of the wineries up there discovered? And why would they be curious about it?

I certainly know many wineries that use that clone but so many others use the Tablas cline, right?

I’m sure many Vineyard managers and owners down here would love to know more about this as well.

Here is the link to the Robert Parker article by Lisa Perotti-Brown
USA, California’s Central Coast: Pearl Hunting
Its in a subscriber’s only section, so I’m not sure how well it will work.

It is behind the paywall, my friend. Curious whether a specific Winery or group of wineries lead to the investigation or something else happened? And what percentage of folks up there do you think planted that clone is opposed to the Tablas clone?

Fascinating concept (Mourvedre that is actually Graciano). I am willing to believe it, as I have experienced so many different expressions of Mourvedre over the past few years. It would actually be fun to discover that I have been singing the praises of 3 different grapes, and not merely two (Mourvedre and Carignan). :wink:

Drew,

I too have tasted a tremendous amount of ‘variability’ in domestic mourvedres over the past few years - but I’m not sure this can be attributed to this possible ‘screw up’. I’m of the belief that there is a tremendous amount of variability due to a) site differences and, more importantly b) differences in ‘understanding’ the variety leading to picking/fermenting/oak treatment differences.

I did a tasting of SB County mourvedres not too long ago with some fairly knowledgable wine folks, and their faves were ones that I found overly ripe with lots of new oak - characteristics which I found masked the individuality of the variety.

Just my $.02 here . . .

Bit of a follow up from Lisa:

As you will see from my notes and scores, my excitement for these wines is about as fervent as it gets. Those who know me, know that I do not hand out 100-point scores lightly or often, but I am compelled to give a perfect score when the wine clearly deserves nothing less. My visit to Sine Qua Non was after having spent two weeks driving from Napa to Paso Robles and down to Santa Barbara, visiting wineries, staying in Airbnbs and tasting, tasting, tasting my way through more than 1,100 California Central Coast wines. At the risk of preaching to the many of the converted out there, I cannot but say openly what a lot of followers of this winery already know: Sine Qua Non is leagues ahead of most of the wineries of this major area in terms of not just signature style, consistency and plain deliciousness, but in terms of utmost quality. This is the undeniable truth right now. The levels to which the Krankls and their team have taken the vineyards in the heart of California Central Coast is astonishing. Their work ethic, creativity and no-compromise stance should be considered a beacon for other wineries seeking sky’s-the-limit heights.

“The Third Twin” mailing list can be signed up for now.

Can’t find a sign up website… link to site?
Or was this an invite only situation?

Could you share the link on signing up??

thethirdtwin.net

The wine will be offered soon as a 4 pack 2 each from 2014 and 2015 vintage. I am really excited to try this and hope I signed up in time to get on the list.

Charles got it.

Info was in the SQN snail mail letter.

Damn! Just seeing this! I quickly signed up…but noticed it says…

WELCOME!
You may sign up for our waiting list by clicking on the button below.
JOIN

Waiting list already???

guess so. Mine said mailing list, but also in the email it said there’s a chance it won’t get filled due to chronological order/small quantities

A clarifying email about the sign up -

Dear Brian,

The mailing list has not been created yet. Currently everyone is on a waiting list in chronological order of sign up. The Third Twin wines should be offered out within the next few months. You have expressed interest early on but with production being so limited I cannot guarantee an allocation. We will know more as the we get closer to offering the wines.

Thank you,
Stacy Aguiar

Manfred, you made a wine from Graciano and didn’t name it “Rocky”? [wink.gif]

I am so looking forward to this SQN Graciano out of their Third Twin Vineyards. As Tom Petty famously belted “Waiting is the HARDEST part”.

only about 600 bottles each year, very lucky anyone who enjoys this Krankl effort

I bought without any hesitation. Paying off our mortgage has its benefits.

Someone better hurry up and post a photo of the labels etc… dying over here

From CellarTracker