St Pete / Tampa Recs (plus Clearwater Beach too)

Last one for this thread, possibly. If your into cheeses, these are my 3 go to places.

1. Trywine (St Pete). Really nice selection of meats/cheeses and the best wine selection of the bunch.
  2. Bacchus Wine Bistro (St Pete). Good selection of meats/cheese, best desserts/cheesecake of the group, decent selection of wines.
  3. Artisan Cheese Company (Sarasota). Best selection of cheeses (not even close), and really good meats. They are more into natural wines if that is your thing.

They’re opening a new restaurant and wine bar in St. Pete this month called Sauvignon. From what I read it sounds promising.

Thanks for the heads up Paul. It looks like an interesting concept. Looks like they open next month.

Great new restaurant by the Gonzmart Family( Columbia, Ulele) https://casasantostefano.com/

I highly recommend it. Terrific spot and food. Great Sicilian wine list as well.

1 Like

I don’t cross over the bridge much except to hit the beach, so can’t recommend many places in St. Pete, but my two favorite restaurants in Tampa (excluding steak houses) are:

1. Rooster and the Till
  2. Edison: Food+Drink Lab (Chef owner of Edison is the former chef de cuisine at Bern’s)

Both also allow BYOB

I hate to muddy the waters any but also hate to start a new thread for just this. Anybody have 2-3 recommendations for Clearwater Beach? We’ll be there next month for 3 nights. Looking for a quick short list so I can make some reservations if accepted in advance. TIA.

Is there a problem with the menu display at Rooster and the Tills home page. Tasty looking but sparse, perhaps the menu was truncated?

While their menu has always been somewhat small (but rotates often), I just went and looked as well and my guess is they might still have a pretty limited menu due to COVID? Seems they are now only open Wed-Sat for dinner so might be doing limited hours too. I haven’t been since COVID, but did the tasting menu last time I was there (a few months prior) and it was amazing.

Wish I could be more help, but I just don’t know much about Clearwater Beach since I avoid it like the plague, but I do love The Columbia and they have a location on Sand Key - Columbia Restaurant Sand Key

Don’t bother looking. Just go for the tasting menu.

Not suitable for this occasion, thanks anyway.

Edison might work better then, or even Bern’s sister restaurant, Haven https://haventampa.com/

1 Like

Barry- not tasting menu’s but 2 other excellent options

Oak and Ola
Casa Santo Stefano

Joe- the beach is pretty limited. Plenty of casual places that are walk up only.

Our favorite is SeaGuini at Opal Sands resort. They also allow corkage. It’s a solid Italian/Seafood place with a great location. Easy parking as well at the resort.

Bob Heilmans may still have a great wine list and some hidden gem burgs on the list but the food is just ok.

If you drive south a bit Guppys in Indian Rocks beach is a nice seafood spot that takes reservations. Best restaurants are going to be in St Pete or Tampa.

1 Like

Thanks! Awesome menus for my purposes.

1 Like

I was looking at Casa Santo Stefano thanks!

My relatives are pedestrian diners so thi is good for them, Edison and Haven look great for me and my wife.

Just booked Casa Santo Stefano.

1 Like

Cellar Masters has quickly become my new favorite wine spot in downtown St. Pete.

Ryan and Kory over there have built an amazing bottle shop and wine bar with a stellar selection of special, limited production wines. They carry a lot of natural wines, but also a good selection of traditionally made but interesting bottles. They’re very knowledgeable and it is just a fun, unpretentious place to hang out, learn, and enjoy some great wines.

No food menu, but the staff, patrons, and-of course-the wine come highly recommended.

For seafood, we’ve really enjoyed Alto Mare on Beach Drive lately as well. Super fresh and they have a pretty decent (and recently revamped with their sister restaurant, Annata Wine Bar) wine selection to boot.

Food at Marker 39 in Safety Harbor is fantastic! After one meal, it’s moved right into one of my top spots. Corkage is either $20 or $25.

2 Likes

Clear sky, and they take reservations. The food is always good.

https://www.clearskycafe.com/

1 Like

It’s been a while, but I spent a month at Clearwater Beach in Nov/Dec 2012. I dined on the island every night and I will concur that Clear Sky Cafe was a weekly visit, but my favorite restaurant on the island was Island Way Grill. I would visit a couple of nights a week. Enjoyed the sushi and seafood options. I recall a decent wine list with reserve options not on the regular list. My last visit before my departure included a brief chat with the Hulkster.

1 Like