St Pete / Tampa Recs (plus Clearwater Beach too)

Wow! That is exciting.

1 Like

Any gems at Bern’s left?

1 Like

Wine list is on line. Short answer is yes and they find stuff all of the time.

2 Likes

I’m surprised they still find wines all the time. I’ve been cellar diving there numerous times and I can’t imagine that there are still spots that haven’t been checked after all these years.

I was going to go to Boulon last time I was there but they were just opening that week so I thought I would let them get any opening week kinks out before trying them. Next time.

1 Like

Don’t forget the office site storage is two or three stories high.

They keep the newer stuff upstairs like the 40 cases of Caymus they go through each week. The older wines are kept on the lower floor. I’ve found some wines they didn’t know they had but that was years ago. A case of 54 Cune Gran Reserva was a special find since it’s my birth year. And a case of 1896 Lafite was very special. They sold us a bottle at the very very low price of $900.

1 Like

Looks like the kid in the candy store days at Bern’s are gone as far as pricing.

Not to mention everywhere else too.

Hey local folks: Anything new and exciting happening on the St. Pete beer front? I know there are a lot of breweries, but browsing the menus, most look…okay. Are Green Bench and Cycle tops? Top interest is NE/Hazy IPA, but drink widely. Heading down next week for first time ever. Nice looking dinners booked at Wild Child, Mullet’s Fish Camp and Seaworthy Fish Bar. Thanks!

It depends on how you look at it. If you are looking at current market prices there are once again some great deals.

Just one example and I realize this price is silly. Romanée St. Vivant 2015, Domaine Leroy is $7500. Current listing on wine-searcher is $13,000.

Dave, I do like Green Bench and Cycle. Also Bayboro, If I Brewed the World. 3 Daughters, Overflow for sours. I’m not local but I try to hit one or two new places each time I’m down there. But there are probably 50 or so breweries located between St Pete and Clearwater and probably 100 if you include Tampa. I’ve barely scratched the surface. I haven’t found a place I didn’t like but the above are places I wouldn’t hesitate to go back to.

1 Like

I’m not a beer guy but Oak and Stone is a cool spot in downtown St Pete. They have 40-50 beers on tap via an RFID system. You get a card and a glass and pour away. I enjoyed as i could try a lot of different beers and do small pours. They also have a respectable pizza and other good bites.
Big Storm in Clearwater would be worth a drive. Probably my favorite local brewery.

3 Likes

I forgot about that place. Fun place. Lots of beers to try and decent pizza.

Back from a few days in the area. Replying to myself to note that Mullet’s Fish Camp was very cool and had stellar food. A couple of strong apps at Wild Child and then mediocre entrees–cool space and good cocktails, though. Seaworthy was loud and full but seemed high-quality. Awesome shrimp and grits and solid cocktails.
Did have a couple of decent Green Bench beers. Wine lists were pretty pedestrian at all of my dinner stops, so wasn’t particularly tempted.
Enjoyable area–making plans to go back with my kids next year for Busch Gardens and whatnot.

We just got back from Clearwater Beach. Best food was lunch at Columbia on Sand Key, thanks Kev. The other places were all ok, excepting the likely food poisoning the first night from oysters. We were too time constrained to travel off the island for dinner.
Did drive up to B-21 to buy some champagne. They had pallets and pallets of shippers outside.

1 Like

Outside in the heat? Not good!

Just the packaging material, not wine

1 Like

Wow, I got the worst leg infection from going in the water in Clearwater.

I already decided to never go back, your good poisoning sealed y decision.

1 Like

Red Tide? But more importantly are you fully recovered?

Yes, thanks for asking. Took a month of suffering.

(Sewage in the water is my guess).