Stanley Tucci "Searching for Italy"

Many thanks. Never would look for non political stuff on CNN.

Episodes are available on the CNNgo App on Apple TV, PlayStation, XBox, etc.

It’s also being shown just before the 2nd episode Sunday evening. I liked it a lot.

1 Like

Yes, Rick. The schedule appears to have changed. Even on Saturday, the Ep1 repeat was moved to 10pm EST from the original 11pm EST, and now there’s also another Ep1 repeat before Ep2 on Sunday, as you stated.

Fun with television programming and PVRs.

I think they did this with Bourdain’s show as well

Watched it last night. I enjoyed it.

Just watched tonight. Kept me off my iPad for the whole hour.

Now that a recommendation. Well watch Napoli tomorrow, an interesting trip for sure. I’d go back but my wife was way too freaked out.

Same here, we loved it.

Another fan. Definitely gives me the itch to travel back there.

We enjoyed it as well, though it bugged me that with everything on Campanian tomatoes, mozzarella, and lemons, there was no mention of Campanian wines. If no time for a filmed visit over the hills to Taurasi, how about at least popping a bottle with your pizza and giving it a brief mention?

Looking forward to Episode 2.

1 Like

What freaked out your wife?

Having watched this episode, I now want to go to Naples… or go grocery shopping.

This is my main criticism as well, and not surprisingly from a WineBerserker, the limited attention to the wines of the region.

Crime is a concern. At the hotel the front desk told my wife to remove all her jewelry before walking into the city center. Probably overly cautious, but it’s not London, Paris, NYC. Also a lot of panhandling including kids running under tables at a waterfront restaurant. That didn’t phase any of the Napoli residents. Naples is probably the most operatic of cities.
Lots of history and a short drive to Pompeii, Positano, Amalfi, or Ravello for overnight stays. Not that you want to drive it yourself in peak summer. We went the end of September to Positano, Capri and Naples. Beach season was over along with most crowds, except Capri with lots of day trippers. Nice to stay on Capri after the crowds thinned out.
Note we wanted to go there for our honeymoon in late March but the weather isn’t very good. I think the best time to visit is summer but August is probably crazy packed.

Today’s offering of miscellaneous food items from Garagiste included Campanian lemon powder. Coincidence?

I think not…

Napoli is safer than NYC. More pickpockets but much less violent crime I believe.

We spent a couple of weeks there during June in a rented villa. Before the European vacationer rush. Terrific time. If you can’t go to Capri in the off-season, go after 4 in the afternoon (works in most heavily tourist places in Europe). The day trippers are back in their buses or boats

The HBO miniseries “My Brilliant Friend” was based in Naples and included several episodes with Ischia (no talk of Coniglio) which added a colorful dimension combined with Tucci’s show and perspectives. A little bit of Italian is a big help when you stray off the beaten track.

RT

Agreed. My wife and I walked all over Naples including back alleys and we never had an issue. Just be aware.

Watching episode one now. I think it’s pretty meh. He touched a few fine points of Naples/Campania but it’s much more exciting to me than he’s making it out to be.