Stanley Tucci "Searching for Italy"

Has anyone tried making that zucchini pasta dish? Seems pretty simple. Wondering what they left out.

This recipe is close but clearly not exact. Simple doesn’t mean easy! The little tricks (not to mention fresh, unusually tasty and properly ripe/sized zucchinis) undoubtedly make or break the dish.

RT

1 Like

Thanks for that recipe. Obvious points of divergence from the episode are that they fried the zucchini in sunflower oil and cooked it the day ahead. They also added some butter. I’ll play around with it as soon as I can get local zucchini.

The episode from Rome has some lovely dishes particularly the spaghetti dish with the fresh precorino/parmesan reggiano sauce.

Loved both episodes and like so many others has me yearning to return to Italy. COVID cancelled last years family trip to Umbria :slightly_frowning_face: so I am more than ready to go back. We love Naples and have visited several times. The further south you go, the better it gets. But having some Italian helps a lot.

I guess he wasn’t able to find it in the first season? [snort.gif]

I’m going to go back and rewatch that specifically. I’m guessing the real trick is in the quality of the pasta and cheese?

Not in only six shows. C’mon

That poor woman whose reastaurant has been firebombed twice with no help from the police. There’s more to that story I would think.

Ah, I was under the impression he was going to each region this season. Guess not.

1 Like

I think the key is the technique by the chef of adding the pasta to the hot pan and then taking it off the stove and adding the cheese quickly and constantly while flipping the spaghetti. I’ll have to watch it again too.

To me it looked like he started off with some pasta water in the pan.

Martin Zwick has a good recipe for Cacio e Pepe: CACIO e PEPE - Epicurean Exploits - Food and Recipes - WineBerserkers
https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5757

It’s an art to get the pasta cooled just enough with the right amount of liquid so it doesn’t clump when adding the cheese and nailing the texture when served.

RT

Cacio e Pepe is a favorite of my wife and being reminded of it we made last night trying the 70% pecorino and 30% Parmesan. I like that better than straight pecorino and it might be our new family recipe

1 Like

But what is your secret ingredient?

Watched ep 1& 2 - thanks for pointing to this since it’s a real pleasure.

So the original bolognese takes 10 minutes to cook? :thinking:

Anyone have a good recipe for the ragu & tagliatelle? Local Italian restaurant Vinci makes a great veal ragu. A go-to for me.