Stanley Tucci "Searching for Italy"

I don’t have access to this show, but I hear he visited Acetaia Giusti in Modena. My family and I tasted there in Dec 2019. Such good balsamic vinegars! They had a 200 year old solidified balsamic clump of under a large glass jar. When our host lifted the jar, it still smelled of very refined balsamic vinegar!

This surprised me as well. Also surprised they didn’t got with the officially designated recipe.

Enjoying the show overall though.

It gets a bit over the top, every Italian cook, has the best. and every expression is “Oh my god”
But what do I know

“x” the little kiss

Kept calling out the OMG in the last episode to my wife

1 Like

This is not far from my experience eating in Italy. I might have had a couple of bad meals there.

I’ve enjoyed them all so far - but the Milan episode seemed to be more about how much he hates Salvini. And the OMG is getting old.

Agreed, all the recipes appeared pretty simple and all that butter… I am waiting for the scene where ST tastes something he doesn’t like.

I streamed on CNN app in Roku but there were 4 minutes of commercials between each segment, crushing.

Do they reshow it on CNN (I looked but didn’t see it). I need either commercial free or be able to DVR it if it’s that much commercial time.

Yes. Tucci seemed to want to talk politics considerably more than the his Perch fishing host…which struck me as somewhat rude.

I was disappointed at the relative lack of focus on recipe/preparation and especially nuances, i.e.: risotto and polenta. No Ossobuco in Lombardy? The schnitzel piece was interesting. The Bitto cheese was fascinating…new to me, even after visiting Milan a couple of times.

Not sure I really want to watch Tucci cook, although his Pizzichero dish looked quite good.

My wife was wowed at Tucci’s access to the inner sanctum of the fashionista Missoni family. I was clueless, but apparently my better half owns a couple of dresses.

Barry, seems like they might have jacked up the commercial time?..no fast forward watching on Xfinity (on demand). Aggravating.

RT

1 Like

Thanks for the info about the CNN go on AAPL TV. Didn’t even know it was there and have wanted to watch this series.

We recently subscribed to Discovery Plus free for 6 months ( Verizon )

If it is on Apple TV-- Some of this stuff has no commercials

Yes, new episodes air Sunday evenings on CNN. I DVR them and FF the ads.

CNN has been showing the prior week’s episode immediately before the current week’s episode and on Saturday night as well

Yes my favorite part of the episode!

Guess he stops by Ar.Pe.Pe at some point

Stock up

1 Like

Stock up
[/quote]

LOL. Good point [cheers.gif]

We enjoyed the first two episodes, but are disappointed at how superficial/unbalanced it is: few details on recipes, nothing on wine (really, go to to Italy as an insider and nothing on the wines of the region? I think I’ve only seen him drink whites), then the weird focus on the coffee shop firebombing wars. Nothing terrible, but weak tea as they say.

They were drinking Aglianico on the balcony in Naples. And I largely agree. Wine has definitely been an afterthought, with the caveat that I haven’t seen the Tuscany episode yet. The trend (i.e.: recipe and food prep details) hasn’t been great since Naples and Rome. I believe season 1 wraps up with Sicily this coming Sunday?

RT

He drank some red in the Tuscany episode. It probably should have been called the Florence episode. No Siena, no hill towns, but he did visit La Spezia, which was nice

1 Like