Suggestions for big, full-throttle Pinot Noirs

I think the OP means NASCAR full throttle, not twisty Grand Prix, and certainly not unlimited drag (which would be Syrah).

P Hickner

Martinelli

Turley Zinfandel

Frank

Dont you find the Belle Glos to be more of just fruity cola bomb, lots of sweetness but i would not say there was a lot of power and structure to back it up

Sea Smoke
Kistler and Occidental

Another vote for Herman Story “Smash City”. Gives new meaning to the term full throttle. Once you get over the “no way”, you get to “ok maybe” then “why not” then “ok I really like this”. Only problem is try and get some - very limited, about 150 cases total. I’ve got first claim on any not sold next release.

• 1 on Sea Smoke, also Martinelli, maybe some Rochioli–these are not bad wines, btw, just powerful, bigger, and made more in a Cali style. Would not say the same about Belle Gloss, Telegraph (is that it’s name), or En Route, for that matter.

Love a good Manhattan. Luxardo is essential. I would place Dusky Goose and Penner Ash in that “one or two”.

Martinelli and Aubert come to mind immediately. Not my cup of tea but I know people who love them.

Dont know what full throttle means, I assume more on the concentrated, extracted side…

Belle Glos, Sea Smoke, Kosta Browne comes to mind,
Ritual, Luca from Chile is in the same category as well and might be cheaper…

As Dale suggested, Syrah is a great substitute, and cost effective.

Alan, I find the Belle Glos wines to be heavy, full of oak and dark flavors, lacking subtley and complexity. This is not my style for PN, but I am not judging those who like it. Many people do, explained by the fact that so much of it gets sold.

OP said “bigger full throttle style” wherein I read ripe, extracted, higher alcohol. I don’t see where he said powerful or structured.

Sean Thackrey’s Andromeda is excellent in that style, +1 to any Merry Edwards though they have a more structured kind of power. Kistler of course.

The Foley family’s “Two Sisters” label.

my suggestion for bigger, full-throttle Pinot Noirs is to not drink them.
their existence means that some winemaker has missed the point entirely.

Surprised no one mentioned Bevan. Russell doesn’t do small anything. Not my cuppa for Pinot but I do like the Cabernets

Blend of 60% Welch’s and 40% MD 20/20 “Electric Melon”

Yeah, Goodfellow…first one that comes to mind. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

I’ve had some big strapping Dom Serene Pinots. Sineann made some bruisers (haven’t had one in a while). Argyle Nuthouse? Elk Cove? Panther Creek? Once upon a time I had my nose hairs singed by a Torii Mor and a Chehalem or two. Granted, none will have the octane of a Kosta Browne or Martini-nelli.

Anyone mention Marcassin? Been punished by a few over the years.

RT

A few have been mentioned in this thread that I’m fairly familiar with and that I would not agree with as being “big, full-throttle” in style - Dutton-Goldfield, Thackrey, Rochioli.

I like DuMol, if I’m not drinking my own.