Suggestions for big, full-throttle Pinot Noirs

Russel makes Wren Hop

I, too, disagree with the Dutton-Goldfield as a “big” Pinot Noir. I am kinda scratching my head on that one… :neutral_face:

Different strokes and all that, I guess.

Yep, I have mentioned D-G as an under-appreciated winery on this forum before. I think Dan achieves great transparency in his Pinot Noir. They have beautiful red-fruited aromas and flavors and lush texture. We have been drinking the 2006 and 2007 Devil’s Gulch and Freestone over the last 2 or 3 years, and are getting down to a couple bottles of each vintage. I wish we had cases of those wines to enjoy over the next 5 or 10 years.

Deep and Dark baby…

Holdredge, Brewer-Clifton, Pisoni

I haven’t had a Holdredge PN in a few years, but none of the 20 or 30 I did drink would I have considered full-throttled.

Kanzler
Roar
Peirson Meyer

I consider the Dutton-Goldfield Marin County “Devil’s Gulch” Pinot Noir as one of the finest of California!

I’ve enjoyed Scherrer “Big Brother” PN.

Cheers,
Doug

I’ll gladly withdraw Dutton-Goldfield from nomination, but it may be exactly what the OP should be looking for. I have to comment that I’ve found every California PN I’ve tried in the last few months to be overloaded.
That includes, in addition to the ones I mentioned, Macphail Gap’s Crown, and Sojourn Rodgers Creek. Both of those may also be to the OPs liking.

P Hickner

I’d consider Holdredge on the bigger end of the PN spectrum, although I agree the OP’s original descriptor ‘full-throttle’ may not be the best descriptor for any of the three I mentioned.

I’ll clarify- they’re on the bolder end of the spectrum of my personal tastes and may have enough heft and richness to appeal to those who like ‘big, full-throttle Pinot Noirs’ in my humble opinion.

Roar seems to be what you are looking for.

Belle Glos over ice cream is a treat. [cheers.gif]

I miss Bob Wood.

Correct.

Also correct. Was going to clarify that too,no need to: well put!

Roar is a good suggestion for what I was looking for.

And to clarify this is not for my own drinking (I do like powerful Pinot Noirs but first they must be balanced), but for someone who asked me for suggestions. Really Boar’s View was the best thought I had, also b/c he likes to drink $300 CS so I would think he wants something high priced. (Feel free not to comment on that last phrase, I know it is tempting, it’s just what some people want.)

Thanks for the many thoughts!

If full-throttle means fruit forward, then some of the wines mentioned above fit that profile. I do not think Holdredge is a fruit bomb or full-throttled, as I find them very reminiscent of the Rochioli or Williams Selyem profile. Fruit forward is not fruit bomb. The fruit bombs are, to me, Meoimi or Bel Glos, Ojai Vineyard, and maybe a early 2000’s KB. But, KB has been throttled back for years. Kistler also does not seem appropriate on the list. The Wren Hop wines are fruit forward but very well balanced. We buy a lot of Sojourn and some (Gap’s Crown for example) are a bit fruit-forward, but certainly not fruit bombs.

But, not to start WWIII, if you ask a Burg lover, every California wine is too big and full-throttled.

Your friend may be dissapointed by Seasmoke. Theyve dialed it back a lit in the last 5 or 6 years.
Bevans pinots are huge beasts.
Boarsview is a great thought.
Marcassin wines are not quite as big as KB
Maybachs pinot is also huge.
North by Alban
Donum is right up there.
Paul Lato
Roar definitely
If he wants to chase, over and out (last pinot made by Manfred in 2005) is still a beast.
Schrader’s Aston also fits the bill
Aldenalli
Cirq
Most definitely Aubert
Hartford Court

Ojai Pinots have also been “throttled back” and are not close to the fruit bomb category. They were even one of the producers that were among the In Pursuit of Balance group. Agree about Holdredge not being in the full-throttled category.