Teeny Tiny Wineries of... Oregon

Dominio IV has a Viognier made with a little Syrah that masquerades as a rosé which is fantastic.

Anything new?

Prive is awewome.

+1 for FrannyBeck and Vincent. Both make a range of varietals that are all very tasty. Long Play and iOTA are good too but a more narrow range of offerings.

Not new and tied to a much larger winery (Rex Hill/AtZ) but Frances Tannahill is tiny and never mentioned. I buy The Hermit whenever I get a chance.

Martin Woods. Pinot, Gamay, Chardonnay, Riesling, and a Cab Franc from the Oregon side of Walla Walla that was harvested several weeks before the big gloopy WA versions.

Not trying to be a hater, but isn’t Christophe getting like $100+ on every one of his Cayuse branded wines? Seems like that’s demand driven rather than by costs. I must be missing the joke?

I would include Youngbird Hill winery at the Youngbird inn. Really nice PN. And also a small one near Amity called Iota. Couple there make a good lineup.

Youngberg

Martin Woods is a nice reco.

Yes! Former assistant winemaker at Belle Pente, Evan Martin, and his wife Sarah own and operate it.

Todd: thank you for this thread, very enlightening…My wife will be touring Washington and Oregon in June, plan to run half marathon and 5 K in Seattle, Pre’s trail in Oregon and do some wine tasting in the Woodinville and McMinnville areas…Some great info posted here re teeny-tiny wineries, just the kind places I am looking for, thanks again

Wineries in the McMinnville AVA tend to get neglected. Even the well established Maysara rarely gets mentioned. I’ve also enjoyed Brittan, Coeur de Terre, and Coleman. Hyland not as much. Maybe the future is in cannabis (I hope not).

Cowhorn down there too.

Applegate Valley is Oregon in an alternative universe. Or maybe just a spatial, and temporal translation of Mendocino County.

Just because Maysara is in the Mac AVA does not make it a teeny, tiny winery. It’s a huge vineyard and a beautiful one at that. The winery facility is large. You could hide my winery in it. They have a second (original) winery on the property that is around the size of my winery. Likewise Hyland is not a small venture by any means. We get fruit from there (as of 2017 and it’s gorgeous stuff) and it’s a big vineyard and while they sell fruit they keep a good chunk for themselves.

I used to make Maysara… and didn’t put it on the list.

Couer de Terre and Brittan and both good examples from the Mac ava.

$100+ would be in the secondary market. Most of the Cayuse wines on release to the mailing list are $75-$85 (I’d have to go back and look at our purchase a few months ago to get exact $$), and there are a couple wines that are north of $100. Any wine over $20-$30 is supply/demand (or perceived quality) driven, and not driven by costs.

If you can regularly get paid well to make wine, then my hat is off to you. This is a stupid, stupid business.

But Todd you made so many friends! flirtysmile

1 Like