Thanksgiving 2021: What wines are you opening?

Going to one of my brother’s houses - he married a woman from Tours in the Loire Valley so I’m expecting at least one Chinon on the table.

I’ll be bringing bottles of my Nouveau Cinsault (carbonic Cinsault) and my Outlier (dry Gewurztraminer), and if we need more, I may have bottles of my Cinsault or my Carignane as well.

Cheers!

Sandlands Trousseau works well.

Marcus was kind enough to put together a mixed case to enjoy over the week with my family:

2012 Bishop Creek Pinot Noir
2009 Matello Hommage Pinot Noir
2013 Durant Pinot Noir
2014 Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir
2015 Fir Crest Pinot Noir
2013 Matello Deux Vert Syrah
2015 Deux Vert Reserve Syrah
2017 Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay
2018 Dundee Hills Chardonnay
2019 Temperance Hill Chardonnay
2019 Whistling Ridge Chardonnay
2016 Whistling Ridge Blanc

Supplementing with some champagne (Agrapart Mineral '12) and riesling (Richter Juffer Kabinett Fass 4 '19).

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. I’ve tried German riesling and Alsace pinot gris in past years with few takers, so I’m looking for at least a partial shift. Seems like a much better match than chardonnay. Bonus for being domestic.

For red, sticking mostly to burgundy and U.S. pinot. Early candidates:
Chevillon 2000 Nuits St Georges Chaignots
Hirsch Vineyards 2013 Pinot Noir Reserve

I opened a Ridge 1999 Lytton this week to assess whether to serve aged zinfandel too. Thinking about 2005 Geyserville perhaps.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone,
Peter

Such a special Musar. Enjoy!

2019 EWCY Chendawg
2016 William & Mary prop red
and ideally a sparkling rosé or a nice blanc-de-noirs.

We are going to be a big group so planning 2 magnums (likely not the best pairings but want to drink them anyways)

2010 Quixote Petite Sirah Helmet of Mambrino
2011 Saxum Bone Rock James Berry Vineyard

Some Dom and some Vilmart - not sure of the vintages just yet. Maybe some Pinot from Arcadian.

Guillaume Selosse NV Au Dessues du Gros Mont Champagne
Antica Terra 2018 Aurata Chardonnay
Peter Lauer 1987 Sparkling Brut Reserve

Trying to pick the red…hoping I would get steered away from Pinot, when I know I probably wouldn’t.

Unfortunately, my in-laws are not big wine drinkers, but my wife says she is not skimping. Got a Mourvedre pulled along with a Zin.

Fortunately, my in-laws are big beer drinkers. So the beer lineup should be impressive.

2018 Colene Clemens Victoria Pinot Noir
2017 Gran Moraine Chardonnay
Tawny Port with peach pie for dessert

I hate turkey, so I am making a porchetta in the rotisserie to pair with 3 nebbioli: 2011 roddolo and 2014/2018 canonica

1 Like

I had the 2016 W-M Prop Red last week and it is already throwing off a surprising amount of sediment. And I think it will benefit from decanting anyway (and it was excellent). YMMV.
champagne.gif

1 Like

For early arrivals/afternoon workers lunch will be poached salmon, and a variety of cheese and crackers and pickles. Going to serve a 2008 Philipponnat Grand Blanc and 2013 Chartogne-Taillet Orizeaux.

Dinner will be structured around a roast pork shoulder and a lot of Thanksgiving classics. Primarily I’ll be popping Barolo - a 2001 Roberto Voerzio Sarmassa (Magnum) and a couple of bottles of 2000 Giacosa Barolo (the ‘Classico’). The Barolos will all be decanted a couple of hours in advance. If those all get guzzled my backups are a 2004 Azelia Margheria and a 2012 Vajra Bricco delle Viole. Oh, and a 2019 Selbach-Oster Ur Alte Reben Spatlese Feinherb Zeltinger Sonnenuhr for a few folks that like zingy off-dry whites with dinner.

Dessert will be a 1986 de Fargues.

2 Likes

2002 Dom P2
1985 Margaux.
2018 Henri Boillot Montrachet.

1 Like

2014 Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett, Mosel Saar Ruwer.

Nice simple riesling from a drier year. SC, 31% alc, think nicely cellared here chez Bob.

Light gold color. red apples, floral on the nose, touch of honey here. “Citrus, orange peach” from across the table.
Initial entry thought is not that sweet, medium bodied, elegant, fair acidity. Nice riesling focus, very likeable. Full of lemony fruits, went well with BBQ pork tenderloin with honey garlic Diana BBQ sauce.

Not sure what I’m going to open, but I can guarantee that my mother will continue her 7+ year streak of bringing a magnum….

…of Yellowtail shiraz.

Always saves me from having to buy Draino

3 Likes

Morgen Long pink label. slurp, slurp!!
Some Oregon pinot, too.
1960 Cockburn to end the meal. I hate pumpkin pie.

I drank the good stuff Saturday night with the Queens crew at an unofficial ‘Friendsgiving.’ We had a great lineup including Patricia Green 2014 Berserkers Cuvee.

I am going to my friend’s girlfriend’s family thing in Bucks County PA. They have a big, mixed Irish/Filipino family so the typical gathering is 40-60pp. This will be my third one, we skipped last year. They do a whole suckling pig, turkey, salmon, lots of sides and ancillary dishes, and great desserts.

I bring a couple of cases of wine. Leftover samples, stained labels, supplier samples. It’s better than anything they have and good enough for me to drink. [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

Look forward to your current impressions of the Schaefer 16 Spatlese Auction. It is gorgeous stuff and still had not shut down last time I had it a couple of years ago. It is one of my go-to wines when introducing people to the German Auction wine world. Happily Crush had a nice allocation of it at one point- or I would have run out long ago.

As for us- Turkey Day will be the usual - one half bottle of Yquem to round out the meal. It is the one wine everyone in the family loves.