Thanksgiving 2021: What wines are you opening?

Schramsberg J Schram 2009.

Wowsa. What time is dinner? champagne.gif
Peter

With as much as I struggle just to decide what wine to open on ANY given night, I never give thought to what wines I ‘plan’ to open on Thanksgiving, instead just waiting to see what everybody feels like having, I guess. We have 6 adults this time (including my daughter now, who is not of ‘legal’ drinking age outside the home, but obviously she, like all college kids, abide by THAT rule!), so I wish I had mags, but it’s such an eclectic mix I’ll probably have 4 wines open at any time. One of our guests (two friends over, who have no family dinner) drinks almost exclusively beer, so he might be out. The other is of the school of ‘Merlot or Chardonnay’ that we all know so well, so I’ll have a sweet mainstream Merlot for her, Jen wants Chardonnay or Cabernet, and likely nobody else will partake of the latter, and I’ll just make it up as a I go.

1 Like

Definitely Diebolt-Valois Prestige and 2020 Walter Scott Rose Bois-Moi. Other than that it’s likely to be some white-probably a Goodfellow Chardonnay or Kelley Fox Pinot Gris. And a red, likely a Cameron or Goodfellow Pinot Noir though which one depends on what I have at home right now. I was considering baby-killing a 2019 Thomas but would rather spend some time with that one and it’s unlikely to happen with family over to celebrate.

One thing I’m really looking forward to on the food side is the from scratch green bean casserole, but instead of fried onions on top we will be using Trader Joe’s fried jalapeño pieces. Should be awesome. That’s a new TJ product I wholeheartedly endorse.

1 Like

2020 Walter Scott Rose Bois-Moi! YES!! I have one left, perfect choice.

One down, 7 to go…

I see a lot of Chard and Pinot choices. I have some newbie questions for pairing both varietals:

For Chard, are you going more oak for the pairing with turkey, stuffing, yams, etc or is a more mineral Chard (Chablis) better/preferred?

Similar question for Pinot, is a more earthy and/or acid driven Pinot a better/preferred pairing than a fruit forward or ripe Pinot?

Now I know there is no “right” answer, but would appreciate any guidance on the pairing logic and strategy from your choices.

Thank you.

Good questions, Adam, and it depends likely on HOW you are preparing those dishes. My turkey, for example, will be a bacon lattice, spatchcocked turkey, in the smoker, so if I’m pairing that with Pinot, I need something that can handle all those flavors - acid is always preferred for me, but others like fruit-forward, so that’s another factor to consider - what the preferences of those drinking the wines are!

As for Chardonnay, I find oaky Chardonnay pairs with almost nothing, lol. Go for crisp, acid and mineral driven Chardonnay/Chablis! Or skip to Riesling as many others have [cheers.gif]

1 Like

We really love zins at Thanksgiving.

Doing a 2018 Carlisle Montafi and a 2018 Bedrock Old Hill.

Another good call…might have to pull out some Big Sky or see what Ridge I have that’s ready to drink

We’ll be enjoying some combination of:

2014 Bedrock Zinfandel Monte Rosso
2015 Bedrock Evangelho Heritage
2017 Bedrock Riesling Cole Ranch
2019 Bedrock Riesling Wirz

2006 Ridge Zinfandel Old School
2008 Ridge Syrah Lytton Estate
2009 Ridge Zinfandel Lytton Estate
2012 Ridge Chardonnay Estate
2019 Ridge Carignane Buchignani

We’re descending on my parents’ place after a few days in wine country and are looking forward to pulling the corks of any and all of these.

As a tradition, I open up a bottle of 2008 Bedrock/Bedrock every year!

Might also pop a 2002 Piper-Hiedsieck Rare at some point.

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Pumped to hear about the 10 Bedrock Pagani Dan! Only have a couple left but been thinking about opening one soon.

An “a ha” moment for us when we figured out that many RRV zins have cranberry-ish fruit profiles.

My mom loves Mugneret-Gibourg, so 2018 M-G Bourgogne it is.

Since it will just be the GF and I, we are going with a Billecart Salmon Brut Sous Bois to start, followed by a 2013 Nine Suns Pritchard Hill Cab Sauv.

We are skipping the turkey and going with Cardiff Crack tri tip (if you live in greater San Diego, then you know exactly what I’m talking about)…

1 Like

magnum of 2015 clos de la roilette and some oregon pinot i was gifted and want to get out of the apartment.

usually drink some ridge on thanksgiving.

2019 Championship Bottle Gravity’s Pull Chardonnay
2019 Kelley Fox Durant Chardonnay
2019 Lemelson Tikka’s Run Pinot Gris
2009 Kelley Fox Momtazi Pinot Noir
2012 EIEIO Wind Hill Pinot Noir
2016 EIEIO Wind Hill
2018 EIEIO Wind Hill

Thanksgiving is at my folks’ place, who happen to live right next to the Wind Hill vineyard.

I drank my other bottle 5 years ago on Thanksgiving. I’m anxious to compare notes.

1 Like

Heading tomorrow for our annual four day Thanksgiving celebration, which will be held this year in Palm Springs. I’m bringing:

NV Bruno Paillard Rose
NV Egly-Ouriet Brut Rose
NV Agrapart Terroirs
NV Laherte Frères Champagne Rosé de Meunier
2008 Pierre Montcuit Blanc de Blancs
2008 Laurent Perrier Brut
2008 Charles Heidsieck Brut
2007 Taittinger CDC
2017 Barbacan Valtellina Valgella Sol
2006 Cantalupo Ghemme Breclemae
2014 Gonon
2011 Juge
2012 Rhys Skyline Pinot Noir
2012 Rhys Swan Terrace Pinot Noir
2017 Dirty & Rowdy Mourvedre Enz
2013 Oddero Barbaresco Gallina
2015 DeMoor Aligote
2015 Martin Müllen Trarbacher Hühnerberg Riesling Spätlese trocken * ‘3te Terrasse’
1989 Domaine Huet Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont
Daniel Bouju Cognac Empereur XO

1 Like