Thanksgiving 2021: What wines are you opening?

NV Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve
2019 Goodfellow Chardonnay Berserker Cuvée Temperance Hill
2019 JJ Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Kabinett
2017 Vincent Pinot Noir Temperance Hill
2016 Vineyard 29 Cabernet Sauvignon Aida Estate

1 Like

Since it’s probably my 2nd last Thanksgiving with my immediate family, I’m planning to open up a 2017 Williams Selyem Zinfandel Saitone Estate Vineyard.

I’m surprised at how few Zinfandel calls there have been. I will be opening a Geyserville. (year yet to be determined) Zinfandel has historically been the quintessential choice with Turkey.

1 Like

I’m waffling a bit… would love a nudge in any direction!

1. 2014 Bouchard Cote de Bechalin OR LC18 Prevost Les Beguines
  2. 2019 OR 2014 Lapierre ‘Cuvee Lapierre’
  3. 2001 JJ Prum Wehlener Auslese OR 2019 JJ Prum Graacher Spatlese

We’ll have about 18 adults, almost none of whom are serious about wine, so I’m bringing 2011 Alesia Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast and 2011 Pinon Vouvray Silex Noir.

My current plan is:
2020 Block Wines Chard
2012 Thivin
2018 Kutch McDougall Ranch
2014 Becklyn Cab

All the Zin talk has me second guessing, I may sub one out. None of the guests are particularly picky, so the list is pretty much what I want to try out on Thursday.

Full Nixon?

Not at all, I probably should have expressed myself better. The point I didn’t make with any clarity is that with larger groups who aren’t wine geeks, I like to keep things simple and limit the selections, which helps to avoid unintentional blends from topping off glasses with a different wine.

I have a long history of serving Alesia Pinots and Pinon Vouvrays for Thanksgiving as I find them to appeal to a wide range of palates (including my own) and I expect to be very happy with these wines. Added bonuses are that I have enough bottles of each of these for the group and most of the group will have little experience with 10 year old wines so it will be fun to offer that experience.

2019 Frequency John Sebastiano Vineyard Chardonnay

2019 Fields Bechtold Vineyard Cinsault

Doing an alternative thanksgiving this year… friend is making 2 ducks with a port/cherry/cranberry sauce. Worried about the sauce washing out any a burg. Any thoughts?

Bringing a 13 Clos de la Roillete Tardive and a NV Calsac Les Rocheforts BdB so far.

1 Like

Thanks, I was joking. Sounds like a good plan, hope everyone enjoys it.

1 Like

sparkling. nothing expensive.

will also find something still in the cellar I feel like drinking. Just not sure what that will be yet. probably a bedrock zin.

NV Pol Roger Brut Reserve. This wine has ~9gm/liter residual sugar which is still in the dry category but I think will have enough sweetness to interest my daughter. My hope is she becomes a bit more of a wino. It’s great to visit family but for me it’s a 1.5 hr one way drive so I will not be drinking much on Thanksgiving as I have 3 hrs of driving ahead of me. I’ll make up for it over the weekend.

The most American wine for the most American holiday.

1 Like

Just the wife and I again this year, so we’ll likely open two bottles- one white and one red, among these:

1998 Mondavi Fumé Blanc I-Block
2008 Jadot Meursault Les Genevrières
2014 Peter Michael Mon Plaisir

2005 or 2006 Thomas pinot
2007 Stefania SCM pinot
1992 Laurel Glen
2002 Detert cab franc

Going with a bit of a Raj Parr theme this year. His high acid, lower alc wines seem like phenomenal thanksgiving meal pairings!

NV Nicolas Feuillatte Réserve Exclusive Brut
2019 SANFORD & BENEDICT PINOT NOIR
2019 Tres Chingones
2017 Anika Syrah

Early dinner around noon and have a Tandoori rub Turkey as well as lots of great sides.

I plan on opening a bubbly while prepping, thinking one of my new Under the Wires, as well as a simple white.

I’ve gone back and forth, as usual, on what to open with the meal. Was first thinking all Pinot Noir: Goodfellow, Aston and a Burg. But now kind of want something bigger too so here is the current plan:

2014 Goodfellow Whistling Ridge Pinot Noir
2010 M&S Ogier Côte-Rôtie
2017 Rôtie Cellars Southern Blend

A lot of family, so a mix of grand cru Chablis, blanc de blanc Champagne (Gosset), Foillard or Lapierre Morgon, Weingut Knoll Gruner Veltlinger and some Austrian or Alsatian Riesling.

NV Piper Heidsieck Champagne
2018 Vincent Pinot Noir Bjornson Vineyard
2015 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spätlese

Looks like your family likes good wine.