The best seal

But how can this be?!? I keep hearing that red wines might not evolve under screwcap. No evolution without oxygen transmission through the closure, right? I guess these aren’t the “top reds” that we really need to know about, and those will mysteriously perform completely differently.

More seriously, thanks for mentioning these. When will the silly myth above finally stop getting repeated?

Jay, sorry my wording was inadequate in my last post, I was concerned about the screw caps wines composition back in the 1940s.
I sold several bottles on Berserker Day three and a half years ago and have one in my own cellar.

I do believe reds will develop much slower under tin lined caps versus saranex (polymer) liners - and many wines from the late 90s and early 2000s were bottled under tin because it was the only option. It therefore is no surprise that the aging curve of these wines would be ‘slower’ than under natural corks, but will ‘catch up’ over time.

The other thing to consider - the tin liners were deemed very close to the ‘best corks’ via the landmark AWRI study as far as oxygen transfer. The big difference - consistency in the screw caps was high, whereas the variability in natural corks was something like over 100 fold over a ten year period . . .

Cheers.

In the last 2 weeks, having 4 of the last 12 bottles from my cellar be corked, I’m starting to come around Jeremy.

For me, pageantry of corks, overrated.

Screw caps, would love to see more.

However if I think of simplicity mixed with some elegance, without cost being a consideration, glass [Vinoseal] is just something I enjoy popping.

Man, that was an incredible BD Offer. So many gems in that collection.

I was lucky enough to snag a few of those old CA Burgundy’s from it - here’s a pic of one from 1949 with a screwcap. Little hard to tell from the pic but the color still looks pretty solid!
20200904_233837.jpg

Reminds me of an old joke.

“Why did the walrus go the the tupperware party?”