The Burgundy (aka $100) Daily / Weekly Drinker

Is there anything I post that you don’t criticize.

In the last year, at retail I have purchased grand crus for under $200. For example, I bought 2017 Hudelot-Noellat Clos Vougeot for $150. And, yes, I buy some of my Burgundy at the winery. But, others can do. There is something out there called the INTERNET. And wines from Burgundy can be shipped to your house using Cote d’Or Imports. And, there are excellent grand crus under $200 in the US. https://www.ansoniawines.com/product/amiot-clos-de-la-roche-grand-cru-2017/ [I visited Amiot when I was in Burgundy in 2018 and they make excellent wines.] Rossignol-Trapet - Latricières-Chambertin 2002 - Morrell & Company [I love their wines and have been drinking them for years.] So, basically, I am buying grand crus under $200 from the same producers that I mentioned in my post.

If you don’t know, ask, don’t make an ass out of yourself. Really, I have had enough of your digs at me over the last couple of months and am putting you on ignore.

Whatever works for you Howard.

My sentimental favorite.

That was right before the generational split so I wouldn’t be surprised if Jacques actually was the primary winemaker for ‘07 BBM. I seem to recall prior discussions.

if price was taken out of the equation im sure that Lafon, Dujac, and Fourrier would be my go tos. I would maybe throw in Chantereves because the style is so different that I think it would be a good change of pace. However, this only works as a thought experiment for sure because obvious you cant make this decision in a price vaccuum. im guessing most people’s daily drinker is not over $100, so basically what youre really asking is “what burgundy is accessible early and available in case quantities” and not really “what would be your daily drinker” but those numbers are obviously different for everyone i guess!

I’ve had a number of Carillon 07s (not the BBM) and they’ve been phenomenal every time (Carillon is one of my two favorite white producers, so not a surprise). I don’t know the background of whether Jacques was making the wines by 07, but it wouldn’t be shocking - he ended up with the plot of BBM in the split and I think is quite clearly the better winemaker. Francois spends quite a bit of time on his negoce line, so I think it has worked out for both brothers.

I am really puzzled by this thread. The three criteria are 1) you can buy 3-5 cases of it, 2) it tastes good young, and 3) it’s under $100. But then we’re told basically to set aside category 3, the point is to talk about good drinkers without price constraint being an issue. Frankly that means you can also set aside category 1, since there really aren’t many Burgundies south of the trophy level that you can’t buy 3-5 cases of if you’re willing to shop around and pay market rate for them (though why anybody would want to drink 60 bottles of the same wine in a year is a mystery to me). So all we’re left with then, is “Burgundies that taste good young” - is that it?

I hear you. Maybe asked too awkwardly. Anyway I’ve enjoyed the answers so far. Mostly surprised by the prominence of Fourrier.

Bize

A daily drinker for us is more in the $30-50 range, but here are some of my favs that meet your criteria:

Reds:
Perrot-Minot BR
Michel Lafarge BR
Robert Chevillon BR
Pierre Guillemot Savigny-lès-Beaune
Pretty much all of Villaine’s reds
Denis Mortet BR and Marsannay Les Longeroies

Whites:
Pattes Loup Chablis Vent d’Ange
William Fevre Chablis
Leroy Blanc
Villaine’s whites
Domaine Savary Chablis VV

While we’re on the topic, what are people’s thoughts on Faiveley’s Bourgogne rouge? Also, I’m always interested in similarly-priced BRs, so please let me know of others you think I should seek out.

The $100 is a fairly random choice as is the 3-5 cases. Neither is a hard constraint nor did I mean ready on the first release - just should consider that when thinking about sourcing a fair amount regularly. Said differently, if it has to be held for 20 years probably hard to always be sourcing 20 years back.

I’ve seen a lot of desire to reduce the question to something very simple like that. Maybe I am over complicating the question, but village and 1er cru wines span from $10 to $4000 a bottle, some of which are easy to source while others basically impossible, with some ready to go in under 5 years while others require at least a decade or 2.

Some people might say “sure I will drink Coche Meursault every week” ok but that will run you $500-$700 a bottle depending on where you get it in the states. And it’s hard to get that much. That price point is higher than I wanted to engage on but a fine thing to bring up. I chose $100 (upon reflection I should have said $200) to keep enough wines in the conversation.

To summarize: this is now another “name your favorite Burgundies under $200” thread.

Much punchier than my original question

I understand the thrust of his question which is a little different than what’s been posed.

There are certain $100-200 burgs that are clearly for the cellar. Some examples would be lafarge, barthod, Angerville, and obviously others. I took the question to be what are reasonably easy to source burgs that are accessible now (for those who like early drinking) in a relatively broad price range. Also, I took them as being things you would drink on a weekday. I’d open any of those wines on a weekday and not even think about it. I’m not sure I’d open Hudelot Clos vougeot on a weekday without a thought, even if it’s technically within the $200 price point.

Yes this is what I was getting at. Thanks Michael.

I picked up a beautiful 2017 Sylvain Pataille Bourgogne 2 weeks ago and shared with a few geeks (socially distanced of course). I think it was around $35. A wine to buy by the case. If you can find it.

I’d like to add a twist, or variation, to the original question: keeping it under $100, which of these wines would you also be interested in cellaring and see them develop over a number of years, despite the fact that they are drinking well young?

My answer is still Fourrier Gevrey VV/Aux Ech (as I have discussed with you!). Have a 2002 Aux Ech I’m looking forward to trying soon.

Alex, I’ll second Marc Roy Gevre for Red.

Basically anything on my list will likely be interesting with bottle age.

Added #6. Grivot La Combe d’Orveau, outstanding CM village.