The Clean Wine Movement...

I don’t think Dry Farm wines is trying to actually market on the eco-cachet of actual dry farming. Also you’d be hard pressed to find an irrigated vineyard in the Northeast, but the other side of that coin is wet-ass vines with insane mildew pressure. Maybe we should start Wet Farm Wines…

I’m just happy that there’s now a boogeyman that natty and non-natty can unite over.

1 Like

Yes. But not all of us are tall.

1 Like

Lol…it’s plenty dry here in the summer!

I’m from Lake Oswego, I know what I’m talking about!

I thought clean wine was a way of saying ‘traditional’, as in ‘non-natty’, and now they come up and take it for their non-sense lifestyle marketing fad. [snort.gif]

Note the capitals - it’s a brand name.

Btw, considering the aggressively deceptive nature of their marketing I wouldn’t trust their wines are as “natural” as they claim. Also, just the nature of their business model with large production volumes and shipping to a customer base that would not understand or accept seasonal shipping, could all of their wines really be no SO2? Maybe a wine writer could pick up some of their wines and have them tested.

Customer replies I saw on facebook were often along the lines of “The wines are good, but a bit pricey.” So, they aren’t just making a niche to compete at the same price level people are used to, but branding “natural” as something people should pay a premium for. I guess if they’re pulling people away from mass produced grocery store (“industrial”) wines, even if the wines aren’t any more natural than plenty of less expensive stuff they could seek out, it’s a step in the right direction.

Definitely missed that - thanks!

Actress Cameron Diaz and fashion entrepreneur Katherine Power have a problem: Their new wine label is so popular that even they are having trouble tracking down bottles to buy. That’s about to become easier for them and their loyal fans.

Avaline, an organic wine label co-founded by the duo last year, is now selling wine on its website. The brand’s shift into the direct-to-consumer sphere comes following strong demand, partially spurred from people that are stuck at home during the pandemic.

Avaline markets itself as a “clean” alternative compared to other wines because it’s made from organic grapes from wineries that meets its certifications. The brand is part of massive “better for you” trend in the food and beverage industry aimed at attracting health-conscious millennials.

A bottle costs less than $20 and is available in four blends including white, red, rosé and sparkling. “Our price point is right in a sweet spot, for the consumer who knows the value of what they’re getting is all in the bottle,” Diaz said.

“Our drinkers aren’t worried about the vintage or what regions it’s coming from,” she (Power) said. “What’s important to them is that it holds their values as far as what they’re consuming and what it tastes like.”

RT

Or Dundee OR. [whistle.gif]

At $24/bottle for Vin de France and Spain appellations, no doubt Avaline wines are overpriced by 50% to 100%.

But it’s refreshing on the other hand that there is a mass market brand that is eschewing the Mega Purple + oak dust + RS formula that dominates the aisles of grocery stores.

It will be interesting to see what happens as they ramp production. Will they be able to maintain traceability of bulk wine in giant tankers?

Greg,

Yep, the wines are overpriced - and yep, they are ‘praying’ on consumers who have been frightened to believe that most commercial wines that are not labeled organic or biodynamic are full of chemicals and heavily manipulated. My challenge is your comment about it being refreshing that this company is ‘eschewing’ all of these things that we believe may be in many mass market wines/

This unfortunately creates a situation where a wine is either ‘clean’ or it’s not in many consumer’s minds and that is a shame and absolutely not correct.

Cheers

I wasn’t aware till today that Scout & Cellar is a sca…pyram…er Multi Level Marketing type situation

But, where are they pulling their customers from, who are they truly competing against? Not likely people who know much about wine. Not really creating new wine drinkers. It seems they luring people away from grocery store plonk. Their customers are paying a premium to feel good about what they are drinking, and receive some acceptable brand-name reliability of quality with a selection of all four types of wine.

We can obsess over “the one step back” aspect of this and ignore “the two steps forward”. A huge number of wine consumers breaking away for complacency and opening their eyes and taste buds a bit. Is that a static shift from one brand name to another or have new interests been stimulated in some good portion of them. If there’s a quality difference between their prior $15 purchases and these $20 wines, and they then try something else to break the monotony, and it’s much better, guess who’s caught the wine bug…

For a second I was thinking this was a new colonoscopy prep solution for wine drinkers.

Cheers,

Hal

They’re happy. They look very clean, fresh, outside. Even the wine looks clean/clear.
cGYgsGF - Imgur.jpg
RT

Just as a heads up Wes, the group doesn’t technically use the capitals for representing ourselves. We don’t police aggressively but John Paul and Russ Raney wanted to make sure that the group left the capitals alone to not be confused with another famous brandthat would have a similar acronym…

Wow… that last paragraph.
So much anger inside. Must put down phone.

So, I take it Domaine Serene is not part of the Coalition.

Esther Mobley wrote a great piece about the clean wine movement and Aveline. I highly recommend it.

Aveline is for the GOOP crowd. I find their approach to the consumer to be very cynical and condescending.

Max didn’t “get” the jab at the brand name Dry Farm Wines and was confusing the discussion with the practice.