The Halcon style.

It’s all a blur to me now but we did a Halcon Vineyard vertical of every Syrah produced about 3 years ago and while the ‘15 was just a year since release it was showing quite well. Jeb Dunnuck said the Myriad ‘15 Halcon had more Cote Rotie than Cote Rotie!

1 Like

Let me chime in here. It calls to mind Northern Rhone without it being something I would say is from the Old World, mostly in the aromatics I would say it is reminiscent of Cote Rotie.

2 Likes

Same. With 100% confidence I pegged it blind, twice, as Gonon St Joseph. 100% confidence, 100% wrong. That’s a perfect record.

3 Likes

Wilde Farm version is made in a very light style, was hard for me to call it Syrah if I didn’t know what I was drinking (similar for the Jolie-Laide)…not that I don’t like that, the lighter body/low alcohol/vibrant fruit versions fit in nicely with what I enjoy as well.

1 Like

So much good info. Thank you all. I will order a few bottles of the 2015 and try it out (when my bank account allows for it :smiley: ).

I’d hope for some Syrah on BerserkerDay, coming up NEXT WEEK

Paul should chime in here. I had the 15 a couple
Months ago and it was more lean and actually more old world to my palate than the 16 or 18. Those both had more fruit. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

The 18 for sure is powerful.

I just bought six bottles of the 2019 Alturas, I heard some British guy reviewed it quite favorably. But then again, I buy this wine every year anyway.

Are Halcon’s current vintages ready to drink, or do I have to wait a couple years?

Also, Wine-Searcher recently described Halcon as Cote Rotie.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2020/11/remaking-cote-rotie-in-mendocino

BerserkerDay is mostly for people living in the US i guess.

Well if you live in Europe you get cellar door pricing, net advantage Europe.

Hehe, with Covid and two small kids i rarely even get outside my own door :rofl:

Is Berserkerday happening sometime soon? When is that again, February? March?

Perhaps April or May. I heard everything got delayed this year due to COVID. [snort.gif]

I did find the Danish shop that sells the Halcon Alturas 2015 (at a good price to boot), unfortunately it doesn’t ship to Europe. Enjoy LasseK !
Don’t know if Halcon will export a bit more to Europe slowly but surely but everything I’ve read about it appeals to my Northern Rhone sensibilities.

How does Halcon’s Alturas Syrah compare to the Syrahs from Edmunds St. John?

Interesting question, as I used that comparison in a tasting note not long ago. While they are different, they share a deep connection to place. The places for the respective wines are radically different, but IMO the spirit is similar.

Power (Halcon) versus savory (ESJ).

That’s my humble opinion.

Two of the best syrahs made in CA.

I can see that, though I think there is a fair amount of power in ESJ. It’s just wielded in a more subtle manner.