The Halcon style.

Nate

My take on the vintages:

2015 - it was a warmer, earlier year. The first few years after bottling it was dense, brooding and a little reductive. It has opened up in the last year and is starting to show more typical florals, mix red/black fruits and savory.
2016 - I have always loved this vintage. A little more fruit forward/concentrated but lots of funky interest. Great balancing acidity.
2017 - low alcohol, more acid driven but the Labor Day heatwave brought out the fruit. Nothing roasted but there is a plum skin quality.
2018 - a cool climate character but good weighting. I think this may be the longest ager. Reminds me of the better 2013 N.Rhones.
2019 - same weather as 2018 but much reduced crop. 2016+ with the same great balance. Like a 2010 N.Rhone from the cooler locales.

Paul

1 Like

Patrick

My tannin tolerant winemaker palate thinks enjoyable after 2-3 years in bottle (though better with 5+ years). Really enjoying 2016. The earlier vintages need a couple years.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks! Perhaps some 2016s will show up next week…

Hamza

We export infrequently to France - usually via a broker to larger online retailers.
We are in UK (A&B Vintners), Spain (Minimal), Serbia (SunTrade) and of all places, Albania.

Paul

How long do you think they’ll live for?

40 years? The 2009, from young vines, is just starting to show some leathery aged character (with fruit still fresh) and probably 10+ years from peak.

Paul

^^^ Now, you do know that the right to use of “Sex Panther cologne” memes on Wine Berserkers belongs to Mr Rich Brown, dontcha?
neener

• Is it too late to feature it for Berserker Day? *

I thought he only got 60% of them? So it’s every time?

1 Like

Paul - Any recent experience with 2012 Alturas?

Joe

About 9 months ago. It showed surprisingly well. I found the 2012 vintage to be rather acid driven early but it has softened nicely. I suspect better in 3-5 years.
On the other hand the 2013 is good now.

Paul

1 Like

Thanks Paul for the info.
Would you have the name of the broker ? he could point me in the direction of its retailers.
I’ll check the other sellers in Europe as well.

I will shoot you an email.

Paul

I bought mine through minimal/cuenllas in Madrid online. Looking forward to getting them! If you or Paul could send me the details of the broker as well, cuenllas was the only place I could find them, 2017 vintage.

Daniel

Minimal just picked up their 2018s and they should hit the market in a couple months. I will send you the broker info.

Paul

Had the Wilde Farm Cardiac Hill Syrah a few years ago (IIRC a '14) from BD Day and it was incredibly meaty and smoky. I remember thinking that it was unbelievable such a funky beverage could come from a grape. I loved it though. The experience made me decide to stash away my other Wilde Farm Syrahs indefinitely.

This is probably a good time to mention that Wilde Farm has been my best BD Day discovery in the last few years. I hope they participate again this year.

Looks like I’ve had the 15 and 16 Wilde Farm Halcon…16 note mentions that it tasted carbonic to me (not sure if it’s true, but if Pax was/is still making it, I think a lot of his stuff went this direction at the time). 15 I believe I enjoyed more.

The Jolie-Laide version I’ve only had the 16 but enjoyed very much and noted that it had the bones to last awhile

Your wish is our command [cheers.gif]

It appears that an increasing number of critics, writers, and wine lovers consider Halcón a West Coast analogue of world-class N. Rhône wineries.****

Wines from Halcón Vineyards’ may possess many admirable “Old World” qualities, but the steps taken in their creation were decidedly original.

The unique location of Halcón’s estate vineyards, the planting decisions of its vine materials, and the creative decision-making in the cellar were discussed in my “Mourvedre Appreciation” Q&A with Mr Gordon.

From the email interview:

• How did you even decide to establish a high-elevation vineyard on the border of the Yorkville Highlands and the cool Anderson Valley, then plant Mourvèdre and Grenache among your Syrah vines?

Paul - “It was always a risky proposition. We knew that that we would be on the edge for ripening of southern Rhône varieties, but thought it worth the risk to create some unique wines. We planted just two acres of Grenache and one acre of Mourvèdre, all on sheltered South-facing slopes.”

31.jpg
Click here to read Laurie Daniel’s 2015 Mercury News article on Halcón’s origin story.

Click here to read John Cesano’s 2015 Ukiah Daily Journal article highlighting Mr Gordon’s work growing Rhône varieties on the fringe.

Halcón Vineyards website:
https://www.halconvineyards.com/

1 Like

Thanks guys. I’ll have to check out the Halcon.

1 Like