The "How do you pronounce this?" Thread

The Musigny part sounds good, the Chambolle part not so much (especially the beginning). The voice sounds automated.

I tried to record a new version on that site but that didn’t seem to work, so I recorded a version here: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder

Thank You, for speaking the French words.
And thank You for the link, to this “Recording voice” site.

Kind regards, Soren.

Nice list. For general pronunciation, I’ve found this one to be very helpful and quite accurate. Of course, in cases like Huet, there are regional dialects at work, so no single source is perfect.

John,

I have always had the ambition of learning some Piedmontese, but so far I’ve not gotten much further than ‘Va bing.’ I once spent a lunch trying to master the pronunciation of the word for ‘fork’ and never quite got it.

The ‘J’ in Vajra is Piedmontese, though, as you suggest, not Italian.

How do you pronounce Gabriel Glas? Is it just like Roman Gabriel’s last name and then the word glass?

That’s what I thought. You people had me confused!

You were almost perfect! (Thanks for conforming I haven’t been making too big an ass of myself)

Hi Gilberto
I said more like, not necessarily exactly the same as. I see your point to a degree, but definitely don’t agree if you’re saying it’s pronounced like Ghem-meh. I do though wonder whether we are hearing these things the same. Maybe our own accents differ?

FWIW here’s a recording on You Tube which I think will help.

regards
Ian

How do you pronounce Bolgheri?

Wait . . .“Aligote” is allee-goatay? You pronounce the e as if it had an accent grave?

The problem with these wine pronunciations is that they are proper nouns, and sometimes don’t follow the same rules one would follow if they were not.

I’m not sure where the stress goes (it’s irregular on place names), but GH is a hard G in Italian, so bowl-gher-ee.

I’ve always thought it was on the middle syllable. bowl-GHER-ee

Aligoté is spelled with an accent aigu

You may be right. The general rule in Italian is stress on the second to last syllable, but place names are not regular: mi-LA-no and to-RI-no, but MO-de-na and NA-po-li.

That explains it. The website (link above) did not show the accent

Every native Italian I’ve heard say it (not many, but more than a couple) has stressed the first syllable.

Passe-Tout-Grains?

Thanks, Dog Neal and John.

A few others:

Emilia-Romagna (Italy)

Vinho Verde (Portugal)

Brancaia (Tuscan producer)

First syllable. But I would NOT add that “w” in there. Think more “Bolivia” if the L were to remain in the first syllable. Also, I would enunciate the R in the last syllable: BOL-ghe-ree