The "How do you pronounce this?" Thread

Emilia-Romagna (Italy) = eh-MEE-lya row-MAH-nya (the last syllable like lasagna)

Vinho Verde (Portugal) = VEE-no VEHR-deh (not entirely certain of the stress but I think that’s right)

Brancaia (Tuscan producer) = if said it slowly, it would be brawn-KAH-ee-yah, but in normal speech, when you allide the three final vowels, it comes out something like brawn-KY-yah. In Italian, each vowel is entitled to separate sound. There’s a good explanation of that here.

Thanks again.

Correct.

The W in “brawn” (if that’s what you’re referring to) was just to indicate the vowel for an American speaker. “Bran” as in bran flakes is a very flat A for Americans, and I think it’s flatter (more forward in the mouth) than the vowel in Italian.

Right (although I think of it more as “short” vs. “long” vowels). In any case, that “o” in Bolgheri should be a short, almost staccato, one. The tongue should stay on the roof of the mouth a bit longer to draw out the “L” sound in the syllable.

Ah, I see, you were referring to that W, in my pronunciation guide for Bolgheri. Yes, I probably shouldn’t have put a W there. That did suggest a more long/back vowel.

Hi Ian,

I see your point, and I have no objection to the pronunciation on the youtube link, which is completely correct.
That the two “e” are not exactly the same is true. One difference is of course that the stress is on the first one, which is pronounced as an open “e”.
On the last “e” there is no stress and cannot be “open”, which I think is what you wanted to say.
Hard to discuss these things with written words…

Perhaps more challenging, but not as frequently useful… Hungarian and Georgian grape varietals!

Great if you know Tokaji Aszu, but what about Hárslevelu, Bikavér, Mtsvane, and Kindzmarauli? [cheers.gif]

How many people knew that Caymus was pronounced “kai-moo”?

Presumably so it rhymes with " poo"

This video is pretty regularly shared at our tasting group’s get-togethers…usually after we’re a few pours in.

We now return to the serious conversation about proper pronunciation, already in progress. [cheers.gif]

I stand corrected (I’m married and used to it). It sounds vaguely German that way though, I have to say

Hat tip to Guillaume for the explanations, very clear IMO.

I dont post often since I am a newb in wine, but french I know!

Simply delete the ‘y’ from the english pronounciation for Gabriel and the Glas does not equal to glass. Actually you simply remove the ‘sss’ sound from the end and there you go.

Ali just like Muhamad and the resxt is on point.

Clos des Goisses?

Cloe day gwasse

So true!

That’s what I’ve heard also. For instance, the towns of PE-sa-ro and RI-min-ni.

I’ve always had a question with the Californian “Dalla Valle”. Is it prounounced American: Dal-lah Val-lay? OR Spanish: Da-yay Vay-ye? Or …?

This is a good and useful list. Thank you. (And happy birthday!)

Let me add Jeremy Parzen’s Italian Grape Name & Appellation Pronunciation Project with videos of the wine makers pronouncing their wine and grape names:

I’ve never heard Rias Baixas pronounced by a Spanish speaker. In my mind I hear ree ahss bikes ahss. Is that close?