The Legendary QPR Wine from each Major European Region

Im a Spatlese aficionado from the producer and vineyard

Yes, I could have easily chosen the spatlese. The kabinett is cheaper and seems more popular on here. The lower RS makes it more versatile with food IMHO.

I definitely prefer WS to GH, though.

LRA Viña Ardanza over Tondonia for me and some others. Both are Great Wines.

Ridge Geyserville

I’d personally add JA Ferret Pouilly-Fuissé.

Veneto: Pieropan Calvarino Soave Classico
Beaujolais: Marcel Lapierre Morgon, Coudert Pere ‘Clos de la Roilette’ Fleurie Cuvee Tardive
Tuscany: Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo Toscana IGT
Santorini: Hatzidakis Assyrtiko Santorini

I’d definitely love to know what Assyrtiko from Santorini other people like. Definitely a top grape.

Thanks everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Pieropan is definitely a contender!

Hatzidakis is definitely among the top producers there.

Higher-end Assyrtikos from Argyros and Artemis Karamolegos + Gaia Wild Ferment are also stunning wines.

While Sigalas gets their own fair share of Santorini hype, I really don’t see what’s the fuss. They’ve definitely bought some welcome attention to the island and thus have done a lot for the recognition of Santorini wines, but quality-wise Sigalas wines aren’t in the top game. They are definitely great wines, but nevertheless there are better producers in the island.

Thanks, Otto! Is there one cuvee that stands out on a regular basisat around $40?

Because you started the thread. You want a definitive list and you wrote unintelligible drivel.

I love Prum wines, but they really are legendary for their Spatlesen and Auslesen, not for their Kabinetts.

Douro: Niepoort Redoma (both colors)
Vinhos Verdes: Anselmo Mendes Contacto
Alentejo: Herdade do Esporão Reserva (red)

All easily sourced in the US, AFAIK.

Would have to be Cantemerle.

Meyney has changed stylistically with Bouard, it just is a legend in QPR. The 1980s Meyney rocked! Lanessan has also flipped to the dark side, bringing in Bouard for the 2015 vintage. Some may like these more modern styles, and if so, they remain great values. Sociando is a personal favorite, and is the largest holding in my bordeaux collection, but it may be too distinct for some folks to declare it “the” legendary QPR.

Cantemerle is a Classified Growth. It is remarkably consistent year after year, and matures so gracefully. It remains very fairly, if not under, priced. It is one of those wines that appeals to the modernists like Jeff Leve and the country palates like mine.

Grab the 2010 and 2009 and you will see. The 2016 is floating around $35 and 2018 futures around $30.

I’ve no idea about the pricing or availability in the US. However, $40 sounds pretty high for an Assyrtiko. For example Sigalas Nychteri and Kavalieros wines are great wines and normally priced around 30-40€, but there are better wines to be had for lower prices, so I don’t see why it should be now $40.

For example the aforementioned Gaia Wild Ferment is superb. So are Argyros Monsignori, Argyros Oak Barrel Fermented Assyrtiko and Artemis Karamolegos Mystirio/21, but they are normally around 25-30€.

I generally prefer the sigalas to argyros although I like both. I tend to reach for moschfilero or the Atlantis white in this genre, though.

1 Like

Same here on Sigalas over Argyros at least on Assyrtiko. On the Vin Santo though, I think I favor Argyros. Stuff is just beautiful.

Argyros is definitely the top producer of Vinsantos. The older bottlings that have been aged for up to 20 years in barrels are simply extraordinary.

But regarding the Argyros Assyrtiko: are yoiu now comparing to the basic Argyros Santorini Assyrtiko or to the better wines? I don’t think the entry-level Argyros Assyrtiko is that remarkable, but the better wines up the quality ladder is where the money’s at.

Bordeaux red - if push came to shove it would be Sociando Mallet.

Bordeaux white - La Louvière

Sauternes - not sure, probably Rayne-Vigneau for me, but it’s not legendary - Coutet?

Loire white - Huet

Loire red - Olga Raffault

Madiran - Montus I suppose, although for me it would be a non-legendary Domaine de Berthoumieu Cuvée Charles de Batz

Bandol - Pradeaux

Board consensus:

LdH Bosconia
Roilette Cuvee Tardive -AND- Foillard Cote du Py
Pepiere Clos des Briords
Baudry Les Grezeaux
Louis Michel Montee de Tonnerre
Prum W-S Spatlese
Felsina CCR
Produttori di Barbaresco normale
Faury St Jo VV

My picks, where different (and maybe not as widely available):

Isole e Olena CCR
Luneau-Papin L d’Or
Olga Raffault Picasses
Willi Schaefer G-D Spat/Kab (spat is over $40)
Guillemot S-l-B VV (red) (or stretch to $45-50 for Lafouge 1er Auxey)
Terlan Sauv Blanc Winkl
Texier StJ-et-StA vielle Serine

Disamiguation required… I assume you mean JJ Prum?