The most underrated village in Burgundy

Sarazin makes a great Givry. [cheers.gif]

I’m pretty sure he’s teasing but with no condescension intended. (Just a guess here…)

I think it’s actually closer to “moo-zeen-yee” (not so hard on the z sound though, between s and z)…

Knowing what I know of Peter from his posts, I am sure he is not being condescending to you, Berry - more having a laugh with you at the difficulty of Burgundy and his joke about how to simplify it.

My guess as well, but I thought Id ask as ive always wondered.

Berry…Yes - I was teasting you ONLY and definitely. [pillow-fight.gif]

I was born, educated and raised in China and Hong Kong. English is my second language. I have been living in Montreal ( a French/English or Paris/NY kind of city )…for 44 years. So …my English is some time all mixed-up.

merci…Alan. Exactly what I meant. For sure…I will not play Poker with you !!! [cheers.gif]

As usual with many threads, people end up discussing two issues. The one you seem to actually be asking is “of the top villages, which one is most underrated”. People are also discussing “of all of the vilages, which is the most underrated”, which is a different issue.

On a separate topic, I agree with Kravitz with regard to NSG. I don’t really get all of the love. I’m happy to drink a good one, but I’ve never had one that made my toes or other body parts tingle. I keep wondering if I’ve just never had the right one, although I’ve been trying since about 1990. Maybe that’s not long enough…

It’s pronounced just like it’s spelled. What’s the problem? :slight_smile:

I would say it’s more like this: Myu-zee-nyeeh, with the second and third syllables having the short character of the “ni” in “knights who say ni.”

I have looked at this thread since it began on my iphone…and…haven’t been able to figure out what it’s about. Without defining anything, it seems like sort of a meaningless question. (Brochon might be the most “underrated” village, as it makes arguably the best epoisses around (especially, the raw milk version that is sold in Europe). Premeaux is a very underrated village, too. Not many people realize that half of the Nuits ST. Georges wines come from Premeaux. And, the pink marble from Comblanchien is considered among the most desirable in France; many Parisian landmarks are made from it. And, Pernand, in addition to what Dan said about its wines, has the only really great restaurant in the Cote de Nuits in any of the winemaking villages: Le Charlemagne.

Need some criteria/definitions here. Otherwise, I have no idea what this thread means.

I do think that Rousseau Mazy-Chambertin (and arguably) Clos de la Roche might be two of the most “underrated” reds in the region…as they are unjustifiably dissed in their stellar stable there. (Someone else alluded to this…and I agree).

I sort of agree with the Dan quotes above…though it’s hard to think of it in a class by itself…as it is the only villages, of the main villages, that has no grand cru…so…how can it be that overrated as a village, per se? Both Nuits and Pommard have reputations, though, that don’t always live up to their romantic images.

Chassagne-Montrachet – for red wines.

That is also a wonderful choice… [cheers.gif]

The thread is about Howard professing his love for MSD! Since it is hard to tell a village such a thing about its wine - he is doing it here:)

If we are talking cheese then Beaune is the most underrated - Alain Hess’ Delice de Pommard is the best cheese I have ever had bar none! It was created to be paired with the regions “rogue” which it does, but it has a finish that disappears and then comes back forcing one to impulsively eat more that it is good enough on its own.

cheese doesn’t need a new thread, it needs a completely new website!
I’ll add Soumaintrain if I’m allowed to drive northwest.

Terrific post - because you nailed what the thread is about - and you’ve identified the most delicious cheese anywhere! Delice de Pommard was served to me at a dinner in a home this summer in burgundy by a knowledgeable local and the group insisted we get to eat it several more times during the week. I tried to figure out how to get some home but didn’t. I don’t suppose you know of anyone importing it, do you?

You must try his triple cream with fresh truffle - another of his inventions.

I’m not sure that MSD is underrated. What I would say to someone who knew nothing of Burgundy, though, is that if you’re going to pick a wine blind then the Morey label gives a better chance of success than any other.
I’m not sure that the rustic and age-requiring reds from Chassagne will ever be popular, but I love them. The catch js that they generally need at least 25 years, though Ramonet can be enjoyed younger.
Pommard is now very underrated. It has been stuck with the image of its worst wines which are indeed impenetrable, heavy and dull. One has to try quite hard to find these nowadays though.

I bought 09 Epenots from Courcel
I have hope

Courcel can scarcely put a foot wrong these days. The 2004 Bourgogne rouge was one of my wines of the year last year.

I will have to try that cheese next time I go to Burgundy. Right now, my favorite cheeses are Swiss, the mountain cheeses like Hoch Ybrig, Napf Kase, etc. See, e.g., http://www.artisanalcheese.com/cheese/ or http://www.arrowine.com/cheese.aspx or http://www.rolfbeeler.ch/cheese/cheese.asp

Why are we all dancin around the obvious? Its clearly Vosne Romanee.