The New York City offline curmudgeon thread

Julie - a fair assessment. But identifying the problem is the first step to solving it. You can’t solve people though.

Not if the offline happens at Fairway. newhere

Maybe the title should be amended to “The New York City Offline Excuse Thread”. neener [stirthepothal.gif]

You’re not allowed to post anything negative, or act childlike, until you’re a Berserker in good standing. This happens after you’re here for one year.

As an organizer of the annual Di Fara’s offline, people are added / dropped off the list all the time. It goes with the territory. I don’t take offense to it.

You’re more than welcome to post one of these events. It’s not easy figuring out where you want to eat, how many can attend, and what the theme is (if any).

I recently attended an offline with one other Berserker. You don’t need 10 or 25 attendees to have a good time and drink nice wine. As a matter of fact, we were able to enjoy what we brought.

With the birth of a new grandson, I can’t figure out why I felt to need to be curmudgeonly, but it sure was fun.

Sorry mate, didn’t know that there were unwritten rules. newhere I promise to try to leave the black hat on the Berserker Shelf until I qualify. [cheers.gif]

Ian, looking forward to you taking the second step.

Those in glass houses…Nice move Dinesh

I have my own cyberstalker!

1 Like

Will each Noo Yawk offline planner now be called the referee?

Any curmudgeons going to the zachys auction tomorrow?

Mostly free lunch if you decide not to bid

Well I think it’s time for me to pipe in even though I was hesitant to at first as perhaps someone gives me hell. I do know this situation very well as I am the organizer of the Wu’s event last week that many here have discussed. Although many in the NY crowd know me and a bunch in Ct. for anyone who doesn’t I certainly have plenty of “street cred” I have arranged over 4 dozen in Ct including my current bi monthly group. I also have done some traveling for offlines in Philly and for a blowout weekend last month in Charleston. So I can safely say that I have a broad picture of offline attendance drop ins dropouts etc, and HOW WAITING LISTS usually work.

Firstly this last gig I arranged at Wu’s I did have an awesome time great conversation food and wines. I by means regret the over 6 hours ride by train and lyft. BUT I will also say that arranging this event turned into a clster fck ! Let’s see almost instantly fills up with 10 folks which was my max. Not my first rodeo so of course I start a waitlist. Then over the next week 4 folks jump on waitlist. Then a dropout for I have no clue why but that’s fine as he gave notice and there were folks in cue. Then of course when I contact 1st person on waitlist way before the event they had changed their mind ! Next person up happily took a spot and we figured out a wine he wished to share. Then a day before this person who jumped in jumped out. Next up person who is well known here who was on the list tried 3 times to reach before he said he couldn’t make . I realize health problems trump all things but have no idea why I never received a note or email supposedly sent. Maybe my email screwed up but I doubt it. The last two dropouts had nothing to do with people but mother nature. It would have been very dangerous for my buddy and his wife to drive up from S Jersey. So _****_y:

10 attendees all with declared wines good to go. and 4 on waitlist. { Not a single waitlist member ended up attending, one had a very valid medical reason the others ???}

FINAL TALLY 5

My other much less fluid experience with the NY gang was at an offline I arranged for many years where we enjoyed some great bottles. Most years went fine but last event there were 2 folks who were late way beyond the typical 15-20 minutes that are common. Becoming very worried called both of them. One had told me there was enormous traffic so he couldn’t attend. Why couldn’t he have called ? And when is there not heavy traffic late afternoon/ early evening. The 2nd person said I cannot attend its a religious holiday. Hello ?? They has already taken a spot declared their wine etc. I think the religious calendar is printed at the beginning to the. Even if its the day before some folks just don’t remember to call.

This phenomenon is more prevalent in the NY crowd than any other of the probably 80 offlines I arranged or attended. It is more work and frustration and 7 hours of travel time to attend one. However I do enjoy attending these NY gigs have a great new crowd in my new group. Ny events are more stressful in planning and more time consuming by far, I take it in stride and am fine with it. If I can do fine in the high stress world of sales this is child’s play. I am going to change my rules about waitlists at my future gigs. It was ludicrous that all 4 of the waitlist folks did not join us. From this point forward anyone on the waitlist who does not contact me within 24 hours before the event to remove themselves from list would rather not include in future gigs. That’s fine if a few people think I am mean but I have tp protect myself a bit from when a offline arrangement with a few changes to a three ring surface. Anyone who has attended the last two dinners most with the same crowd, your communication has been great. If future events are as crazy as this last one I will make it a closed group of our original 8 people and allow them to bring guests they know well. Hope next dinner goes fine as I prefer to keep an open door policy. If any New Yorkers think my critique is harsh too bad. I enjoy seeing most of you but I have spoken my mind and certainly most of you are not shy about speaking your mind. Good thing about folks around the city they aren’t shy to speak up !

For myself, Jonathan, I am happy you felt like you could step up and post this commentary. It is hard to herd cats at any OL. Here in Toronto, it’s a bit of a conundrum for me just now. Thanks to a couple of disassociated threads, I’m now aware of many more WBers that are here than I realized. I have tried sporadically to reach out to some of them and will continue to do so to try to put together an OL and expand my “known community”. But I also have a core group that I know with nearly 100% certainty that if they commit to a dinner, they will be there or, at very least, will give as much notice as they can of a change in plans. That is a good thing to have.

Maybe in NYC, you just need the right visitor [grin.gif] The Mike on Tour events have always been nicely attended :wink:

Back to seriously? If you are the organizer, you more or less get to make the rules, I would say.

Salud and see you in a couple months (not in NYC of course—that will hopefully be near the end of the summer).

Mike

OK Boomer. neener

As Gregory said, I miss that aspect of the city. Living here in San Diego people drink, for the most part, stuff I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy (even you wouldn’t like it Jay). [snort.gif] Plus I hate having to take a car everywhere (I have discovered that I HATE car culture and actually miss mass transit - I know, shocking). I will say that when I lived in NYC I prefered smaller, more intimate gatherings around themes, and most importantly, friends.

I miss NYC. [cray.gif]

Wow, now that’s how to curmudgeon! Thoroughly enjoyed your post Jonathan. Despite being cheesed off, you still got your point across. One can only hope the entire group you’re targeting takes it as constructive. Being who they are, it’s doubtful and they probably will get shirty with you for calling them out. Like you said, who cares if they do? As Mike points out it certainly needed to be said.

Maybe you should stick to the more friendly areas to organize these offlines. Hopefully the small group of dedicated and friendly NYC members won’t mind traveling. Rare group, they are!

So noted. My calendar is clear in July, with the exception of one particular weekend. [wink.gif]

It was Mark Franks. Those “Luger” offlines were fun

He did a fantastic job with those. Some very fond memories.

End of August, Dan–around US Open time :slight_smile:

1 Like

[rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif] [rofl.gif]

Lots of work. Changing attitudes of restaurateurs. Indifference to scheduling issues from some attendees.
Much has changed in the years since I started my group (2004). I have met some amazing people and made some new friends, but (early on) I also met a very few that I would not want to share a sidewalk with; those few sure can become a buzzkill. lol
I wish I had the time and energy to continue on. I so much prefer smaller more intimate groups these days.
I realized nothing can stay pleasantly pleasing forever and am glad I went out on the highest note I could achieve. I have never seen anything come close to even matching what the small dedicated and fun loving CLONYC group has experienced. 52 dinners of hot winemakers, great food and many laughs For the most part I was able to maintain one of my very first tenets of keeping it fun and convivial and avoid the snobs and wind-bags. Great times for sure.
I constantly watch this section of the forum but nothing has garnered my attention… yet. Dan, the DiFars thing is a blast. You sir have kept my attention and for that I thank you. Dedication is never really appreciated, if only by a few…
Cheers!